Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Coldest ride/worst ride story

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coldest ride I've ever done was a long time ago on a cold winter day when my neighbor in the apartment next to me and I dared each other to go out for a ride. He had a street bike, I had a 500cc enduro. We were only out for less than 30 minutes but we got on the highway for several miles just to see some of the reactions of people shivering in their cages as we rode past. It was priceless.

The actual temp (not the wind chill crapola) was 7*F below zero. I have no idea what the wind chill was because I have never found a wind chill chart that has 70 mph winds listed and a -7*F air temp.

We had fun but it is probably a ride I would not want to repeat without some sort of big financial incentive if I did it again.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad600RR

jt what kinda bike is that in your avatar, looks very similar to my street fighter?
It's an F2. It has got a buell headlight, F3 front end and rear shock, 49 state cams, Vance and Hines header and a yoshi pipe, all dyno tuned by somebody else back in the 90s who lost the slip and doesn't remember what the digits were cause he rides an aprillia rsv now.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM

my coldest was when i went to take my bike back to lafayette (about 2 or so hours from my hometown) it was going to warm up later in the week, and this was going to be my last chance to get the bike to Lafayette for 3 or 4 weeks. i didnt buy a parking pass so when i rode the bike to class i got to park basically anywhere rather than having to ride the bus so i really wanted to get the bike up there.

well of course its like 40-43 degrees the whole way and the sun starts setting. so im averaged 65-70 mph for 2 hours... and the kicker is... my g/f at the time (now my wife) rode with me! lol. thats when i knew she was a keeper. we stopped at a mcdonalds like 30 min away from my apt and she wanted to go inside and eat and warm up. i told her we could but the sun was setting so it was about to get alot colder. we warmed our hands up with the exhuast and took off again. i couldnt feel my feet or front of my legs for like 2 hours after we got to the apt lol

Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worse ride ended in a crash lol.

Cold rides?? Nah I always wear cold gear n stay nice and toasty

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM

well time for my story...
In Feb of 2005 I was leaving cannon AFB in Clovis NM for the last time. I was headed to SLC to go to hill AFB. it was a 19hr ride that I had every intention of completing in one shot. I left in the early morning and it was about 40*. So my thought was it is going to be a nice day for a ride. well I lost my cd player about 1hr into the trip so that kind sucked. well I rode from clovis through NM and it was not bad. Kinda nice to tell the truth. well as I got into colorado night started to fall and the temp started dropping. By the tiem I got to Cortez colorado I was so cold I had to stop. I pulled into a local motel. Walked into the office. The people looked shocked. I was covered in hard snow and dripping wet. I pulled out my wallet but could not move my hands so the lady at the counter pulled my card out for me and ran it. she gave me a pen that I acould not grab due to my hands being so cold.She told me I could sign it in the morning. She sent a guy to open my room for me. I walked in thanked him and he left. I got undressed and truned the shower on. I am a boyscout and have camped ALOT in hte cold and knew not to trun the water on hot.. I had the shower on the coldest setting steped in and I felt like i stepes into sculding water. I was in the shower for well over an hour. finally started to get warm. got out got dressed and went to bed. the next morning I woke up and got ready went out side and it was clear, cold but clear. I signed my from thanked them for their help and left. when I got home I checked the weather the night before it was 5* in cortez and the recived 5in of precep. that was the coldest and worst ride i have ever been on.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
The coldest ride I've ever done was a long time ago on a cold winter day when my neighbor in the apartment next to me and I dared each other to go out for a ride. He had a street bike, I had a 500cc enduro. We were only out for less than 30 minutes but we got on the highway for several miles just to see some of the reactions of people shivering in their cages as we rode past. It was priceless.

The actual temp (not the wind chill crapola) was 7*F below zero. I have no idea what the wind chill was because I have never found a wind chill chart that has 70 mph winds listed and a -7*F air temp.

We had fun but it is probably a ride I would not want to repeat without some sort of big financial incentive if I did it again.

I didn't even know it got that cold there? Thats like -22^C

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by jeffjones
I didn't even know it got that cold there? Thats like -22^C
According to official records the coldest ever in St. Louis was -18*F (-28*C) one January. It doesn't give the year: Temperature Lowest of Record

Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 AM

i had a pretty bad one a week or two ago. I took the bike to school, it was cold, said it was going to rain but by the time i was going to be back on the bike it was suppose to have passed over by a couple hours. All of a sudden it started freeze raining and i had to ride home in the **** for half an hour. If you think you spin the tire a lot in the rain, think about when it's friggin hailing outside haha

i learned my lesson quick: dont ever listen to the weather channel

bike is somehow so dirty after all of it, usually the rain cleans but not this time, the whole bike has like a layer of crap on it. it looks bad,,, and i just waxed her up too...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worst ride, heading out of Louisville, Ky for Tulsa,OK. 700miles, normally 10-12 hours (back in the 55 days). About 100 miles out, blow the head gasket. I can't drive over 45-ish and keep any oil in the thing. To add to the thrill, starts raining so hard CARS are pulling over. I get behind a 18 wheeler, flash my lights to let him know, and draft him for 150 miles till the rain let's up. Now mind you, I leave in the morning about 8 and I'm suppossed to be at work the next day at 11am. Usually a nice ride get in that evening and nice sleep, head to work....right...9am (25 hours later) I pull in to my drive, call work, "I ain't gonna make it" and crash for 10 hours. Up until the Will Rogers Turnpike, I was bound and determined to make it to work, but after falling asleep several times (thank god they built that road with a straight-edge!), I knew that wasn't gonna happen.

Coldest ride, Left a friends house to a light mist, by the time I got home 45 minutes later, heavy sleet. I had to beat a 1/4 inch of ice off my leathers to un-zip them, so you can imagine what the roads were like.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had wondered about all the comments about putting the bikes into storage for the winter, I can now understand why. Our cold here has. Our cold here in Australia has nothing on what you guys get widespread.
No wonder you have grip warmers and electric clothing. I feel the cold when it gets to down 10 c