Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Coldest ride/worst ride story

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coldest ride/worst ride story

Ok well today i woke up in Kalamazoo MI (for once the same place i remember falling asleep), looked outside to a bright and sunny day. First thing on my mind was going for a ride. Threw on my thermals, jeans, a hoody, the rest of my gear along with winter gloves as i knew it was prolly a little chilly and went and warmed up the bike. No sooner than i left the end of my block i was freezing. Have a weather app on my phone punched it up and realized the sun was just a fluke...it was only 29 degrees outside lol...i still rode 40 miles but i earned everyone of em....anyone been out when it was colder? any stories of the worst ride...through a tornado that just ran over a volcano causing a massive forest fire? lets hear em

Old 03-25-2011, 07:51 PM

February second, 2009. Lol. Headed from Lima, Oh to cincy to get my bike out of my ex's garage for winter storage. It took a little longer than I thought to get it running and I didn't leave as soon as I should have but it was nice out and I needed to ride so I figured now was as good a time as any. On my way back to school (lima) now. It was getting dark as I left the driveway. I was wearing jeans, my joe rocket textile (warm but not warm enough. lol) and a pair of winter (like michigan snow shoveling) gloves. It was 29 degrees and raining for over half of the 2 hour trip back to school. It was miserable but at the same time felt good to be back on two wheels. I stopped at a mcdonalds and got a pair of vinyl gloves to wear under the other ones and that helped considerably.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Leaving school one night, it started hailing and I only had a textile jacket, jeans, and chucks. I could feel the rocks of ice on the back of my neck and i was soaked. 30 minute ride, luckily hail only came down for the first five minutes.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM

last day of the semester, it was snowing but i had to go to school to take my last final. made it to 1/8th of a mile of my house. hit ice layed the bike over, the POS PO put no cuts on the bike, i never took them off(dummy me). they cracked the valve cover and i had to trailer the bike home. Also many days(probably over 100 days) below 20F throughout winter

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last ride of the year last year in December it was -7^C (Canada) and I had to drive the bike about an hour to where it was being stored, It started snowing for about 10 mins of the drive and worst of all is I didn't realize that my shoes were moist when I left and there were ice on them when I finally got there.
Definitly won't wait that long this year.... Or maybe find a place closer to store it

Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM

JESUS...no more whining about 30 degree days for me....

Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 PM

suck it up gents YouTube - Noordkaap in winter by motor

Never would I do it but hey more power to them.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM

I was riding from Oakland to Lassen County Ca Via CA36 on memorial day weekend last year. It was unseasonably cold, and for about 2 hours of the ride it was well under 25F. It snowed for about 40 min pretty decently. Fortunately, I had brought snowboard pants and jacket and just put them on top of all my gear. I stayed fairly warm over the ride, but riding with snow on the ground is a bit disconcerting to say the least! The coldest feeling ride I've had was 15mi on the freeway when it was 40F out and raining and I had no rain gear on. That was miserable.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 PM

good stories folks keep em coming

Originally Posted by jtkardel
I was riding from Oakland to Lassen County Ca Via CA36 on memorial day weekend last year. It was unseasonably cold, and for about 2 hours of the ride it was well under 25F. It snowed for about 40 min pretty decently. Fortunately, I had brought snowboard pants and jacket and just put them on top of all my gear. I stayed fairly warm over the ride, but riding with snow on the ground is a bit disconcerting to say the least! The coldest feeling ride I've had was 15mi on the freeway when it was 40F out and raining and I had no rain gear on. That was miserable.

jt what kinda bike is that in your avatar, looks very similar to my street fighter?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was driving to Austin, TX from Shreveport, LA december 09 for my new years leave. I was taking my bike because i had just finished repainting it and it would be the first time the family had seen my bike. I didnt trailer it cause my wife left a day earlier since i had to work.

That morning i woke up and the worst frontal system pushed further than i forecasted it to.(yes i forecasted its my job and man did i screw that up) It was stratiform precip which means its non stop downpour. The area of precip reached from dallas to just east shreveport and then i had to hop on 35 south and well fronts go south to so the rain was non stop for about 200 miles. I had no rain gear and it was about 35 degrees. My bike kept dying becuase there was so much water in the air. If i went over 45 my bike began to bog down like the enigne was flooding so it was a slow trip.

I went to stop at a gas station and had to stop to yield for some traffic and when i stepped down that puddle was not shallow so i dropped my bike and soaked my boot further. Once i finally got out of the rain it was dark so all that moisture turned into fog and i couldnt see more than 1/4 mile in some parts of tx.

The trip takes about 5 hours on a normal day. This day it took me 8 hours. That was my worst trip ever. Ill take cold over massive amounts of rain any day.

Quick Reply: Coldest ride/worst ride story