Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any BBQ'ing tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any BBQ'ing tips?

Im BBQ'ing Ribeye Steaks for me and my girl tonight and was wondering if you had any BBQ'ing tips. I'm basically a beginner and want any advice you can give.

-cheers

Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Beginner eh? You can't go wrong! Always remember that... No matter what happens you can't go wrong..

Now.. Do you want a true BBQ (dripping with BBQ sauce) or are you just cooking it on the grill with no sauce?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfbewley2
Now.. Do you want a true BBQ (dripping with BBQ sauce) or are you just cooking it on the grill with no sauce?
he said
Originally Posted by smoorebmw
Ribeye Steaks
so i'm going to assume he means grilling. (he better mean grilling! ribeyes would be weird with bbq sauce.) hard to screw up a ribeye - plenty of fat to keep things juicy.

btw, since you're in SD, phil's is the place to check out for real bbq.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM

You never know.. People like BBQ sauce with their ribeyes hahaha!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM

I was gonna stay away from bbq sauce since these damn steaks cost $28. It's better be good without it I LOVE PHIL'S BBQ!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Damn... $28 for both? Those better be some big steaks haha! The fat on will keep them nice and juicy.. My only tip for non-sauce BBQing is to keep and eye on them.. Haha! I only BBQ with sauce and I have a ton of tricks for that haha

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gear the grill ripping hot, sear both sides 2-3 minutes a side for med rare (maybe more if there really thick).

I like them simple with just salt and pepper, but occasionally I'll hit them with my tri-tip rub.

1 part salt
1 part dried thyme
1 part dried rosemary
1 part onion powder
1 part garlic powder
1 part white pepper
1 part black pepper.

Rub the steaks and let them sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dfbewley2
You can't be serious?!?!?!

1st thing you need to know, BBQ is a way of cooking like baking. BBQ is not a dish. Just cause you add BBQ Sauce to something doesn't make it BBQ. Unless your marinating, then slow cooking with low heat you are grilling.

I don't know to many people that GRILL steaks and add any other sauce than steak sauce..... Marinate it with a good rub/wine/beer. Grill, and serve. Pretty simple.....

Last edited by gotcbr; 08-23-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: inflamatory & baiting comment removed
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Just in case you still dont understand courtesy of Wikipedia:

Barbecue or barbeque (common spelling variant)[1] (with abbreviations BBQ & Bar-B-Q; Barbie, used chiefly in the United Kingdom and Australia; Braai used in South Africa) is a method and apparatus for cooking meat, poultry and occasionally fish with the heat and hot smoke of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as setups:
Charcoal > Gas

Cooking with hardwoods is my personal favorite - I usually keep some pecan, mesquite hickory or oak around to use as a fuel source when I'm really serious about what I'm cooking - but when just grilling for an hour or so, I use lump charcoal for the primary fuel, and add a small log of some hardwood for flavor.

Pick a book or two - any of Steven Raichlen's Grilling books, or Weber's Way to Grill are really comprehensive on techniques, recipes and possibilities.

Every one of us that take the grill seriously probably have 2-3 different dry rub recipies, a couple of sauce recipes and more different techniques that can be fathomed. And we all will probably not agree on everything. It's ok as long as it tastes good.

Oh - and don't forget to try your hand at a Bacon Explosion!!!!
Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes - BBQ Addicts - BBQ Blog

Quick Reply: Any BBQ'ing tips?