Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another example of BMW robbing everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another example of BMW robbing everyone

i have a 57 m sport 1 series. nice car right! until, an unknown entity drove into the back of it on a cold night and drove off, no note, no cctv nothing. so i go outside and find this....
[IMG][/IMG]
Damn, thats annoying. just bought a bike, its christmas in 20 days, how am i gonna afford that?!?
So i pop to my local BMW garage and ask them for a quote to do a BUDGET repair. nothing to fancy, just get the dent out really so it dusent look so bad.

Here is there quote.
[IMG][/IMG]

over £1000!! thats like $1600!!

So i went home, figured out myself how to remove the bumper enough to get to the dent,
[IMG][/IMG]
Heated the dent up with a hair dryer and popped it straight out from behind. and polished the paint transfer off.
easy peasy

[IMG][/IMG]

all it cost me was about 45 mins and probably 3pence worth of electricity.

never going to the BMW dealership again.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i suggest you send them these pictures and your process and tell them to go eff themselves lol

Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol don't buy the bike then. 1st service on my s1k, which had to be done by the dealer to remove the rev limiter, was $245. Mostly all they did was change the oil

Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealerships don`t repair, they replace.

A wheel loader bumped my `99 Volvo S80 in the front bumper so that it had to be replaced and the tip of the hood straightened out and painted. The insurance company stated since it`s such an old car the repair company has to use second hand parts if available.

Turned out there isn`t a single salvage front end in the whole country for the mk1 S80 so the insurance company gave the green light to order a new one.

It came express from Sweden, straight from the factory, readily painted into the right color.

The front bumper alone costed over 3000EUR, plus other parts and labour, the end sum almost twiced the value I would have let go of the whole car.

Lucky it was the other half`s insurance that paid for it...

...And yes, having a functional pair of thumbs can save you a pretty thick bale of cash...

Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson

...And yes, having a functional pair of thumbs can save you a pretty thick bale of cash...

Quote of the day IMHO

Cheers, SB

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job with the Hair Dryer man and like was suggested send the garage a few pics
of your 3 penny fix in a seasons greetin's card ....lol

Mattson : I have put 3 fronts on my 01 S80 , 1 st hit - the wife backed into it with
the hitch on the SUV, 2nd time I nailed a Deer & last time evasive action took out a
speed sign as an oncoming car came across the centerline at me head on.

All 3 times I went with scrapped front's and installed myself never paid more than
250us for one - but then there's a lot of junked s80's here these days

Approaching 200k on mine - I expect to get 500K out of it - hell I may even get
buried with it

Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

463k on mine, planning to get rid of it as soon as I can... All the (few) s80s in junk yards here are either burned, bashed from the front or both...