New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Noob, 2002 f4i high idle and running rough. Possible FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:27 PM
R13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob, 2002 f4i high idle and running rough. Possible FPR?

Hello everyone, new to the forums and I'm having an issue with a... let's say "project bike" I picked up last year.

To keep it as short, yet as informative as possible I have a 99 F4, converted to an f4i using everything but the frame from an '02 f4i with 22k miles.

Anyway long story short I just got done putting in new plugs, doing a valve adjustment, new chain sprocket, brake pads... etc etc, now when I got the bike it ran fine, a little lopey at idle, but overall it ran good. It had the typical oem CCT problem so I replaced it with the APE manual CCT, and ever since then I've been having an insanely high cold start idle, and if I blip the throttle it hangs at about 4-5k for a few seconds. Now I know it idles high when it's cold due to the wax unit, but when it ran good it didn't idle this high.

Now to the only thing that changed when I replaced the CCT and this issue occurred... the fuel return line on the FPR snapped, so I replaced it with the closest thing I could get at advanced auto, and upon doing so I realized someone has rigged a late 90s civic fuel pressure regulator to it... yeah

but what stumps me is it ran fine before. I've checked for fuel coming out the vacuum hose and nothing. As I said I just put new plugs in, checked the coils, and did a valve adjustment (0.20 intake +/- 0.03, 0.28 exhaust), changed the oil, but it's still running just as bad, if not worse now

Here's a clip of it running when I got it:

And a clip of it starting now:

The rattle is the CCT btw... at least I hope o_0 I have the damnedest time getting that thing adjusted just right.

But anyway as you can tell it's not running smoothly, is this as abnormal as I think it is, or am I just a noob who thinks because he can work on cars and dirtbikes that he can fix sportbikes too?

Any input is greatly appreciated, I'm pretty mechanically inclined as I've rebuilt the drivetrain in both of my 4 wheeled daily drivers including engine/transmission and had no issues, but this has me stumped, and I can't afford to just throw money at it after all the other stuff I've just replaced.

I don't know if you ladies and dudes like pics here, but since it seems to be the polite thing to do on other forums here's the turd before I ripped it apart

Name:  MKr5ll7.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  517.4 KB