The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Will a ZX14 motor fit my 1kF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Will a ZX14 motor fit my 1kF?

Two days a go I demo'ed a K1600GTL and a ZX14. WOW!

The GTL had plenty of power and was as smooth as an electric motor. It dropped into turns like a much smaller bike. It only felt dumpy (big bike) in the parking lot. The power windshield was huge but I was buffeted wit it in the up position. My friend liked it all the way up when he demoed it, I'm taller so it may be a height thing.

The ZX14 made me go WOW! I was surprised with the riding position. It was much like the 1kF. I could sit up one handed just like the 1kF. It was plenty smooth and pulled from down low. That bike had so much power it was crazy.

When I got off the ZX14 I couldn't help but to look at the engine and wonder if it would fit.

My intentions were to demo a FB6 from Honda. After seeing the wing and FB6 next to each other, I sat on both. Yes, you can ride the wing all day and into the night. The FB6 has a saddle much like sitting on a 55 gallon drum. Its very wide and rock hard, bar hopping at best. The FB6 looses the navigation system, ABS and reverse. The wing windshield is a ratchet system where the FB6 is bolted on so you can't put a wing shield on the FB6. All in all I was very disappointed in the FB6. I thought Honda was finally making the bike I have been waiting for, a wing w/o that huge La-Z-Boy throne that can't be removed. Honda made to many cuts to bring the price down and dropped the ball again again from my point of view. I was so disappointed I didn't even want to demo it. Did I mention the saddle?

I also demoed a CB1000R. I couldn't see the gauges and my privet parts are still sore from that cursed saddle angle ramming me into the tank. I tried and tried to slide back but was forced back into the tank. Other than that it was a nice ride.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey thanks for the write-up TBT.

Your thoughts on the ZX-14 mirror mine. A fantastic bike with more pulling power than a team of oxen.

However, love the CBR1000F as I do, plonking a Kawasaki motor in would be heresy IMHO. Just find a cheap (dropped) ZX-14 and do it up.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hondazaki? Oh yeah, some new Korean bike I heard.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Your thoughts on the ZX-14 mirror mine. A fantastic bike with more pulling power than a team of oxen.
Fuel injected had a lot to do with it I'm sure.

Hondazaki? Oh yeah, some new Korean bike I heard.
I always thought Hondazaki was a drink.

I did demo a Stratoliner Deluxe last week. I wanted to compare mine with windshield to batwing fairing. I fell in love with the rider saddle. Turns out '06-'07 are different than '08 on. The newer ones are deeper dished and much better feel.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at a ZX14 3 wks ago. I didn't test drive it but should have. After sitting on the bike I realized also it was very much like my 94 1000f in seat and rider comfort. Very nice bike with some serious teeth

Now if I could get a blackbird motor to fit in my 94 1000F hmmm, now that would be cool.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM

After having just done a straight forward engine swop from a 89 donor to a 92 chassis I know what a PITA fitting a 1kf motor to a 1kf is. The thought of trying to shoe horn a 1400 into that chassis makes me feel rather ill. That being said I have always believed that there is nothing impossible under the sun depending on the determination to make it work. The morality of it would be up to the individual. On a 1kf the motor is basically invisible anyway, so who would know

Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything will fit into anything ... all depends on how much time and $$ you're willing to spend

Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM

I think a honda blackbird carbed motor 1100cc in a 1987-96 CBR 1000 bike would be a pretty neat set up. Always wanted to do that. Maybe some day.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I have always understood that you can actually fit a jet engine into a submarine.

If you have enough money.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I have always understood that you can actually fit a jet engine into a submarine.

If you have enough money.
But will it fly?

After getting off my Stratoliner, I'm thinking that engine in the 1kf would be a hoot. It makes a 800 pound bike go, so a 500 pound bike should go even better. I think one problem would be that, in the end the 1kF would be 800 pounds.

Quick Reply: Will a ZX14 motor fit my 1kF?