The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Good Tools & Other Helpful Inventions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few I've made that I thought I would share. There is no way I'm spending 70$ on a head stem socket so i spent 10$ on a 35mm deep impact socket and a 1/2 hour with a dremel and a grinder and got this

I've also made a sync tool out of clear tubing and sprinkler fittings (drip irigation

I need to put a heavier weight oil in it, the trans fluid is to light and reactive but I can guarantee the sync is spot on.

Here is my head stem bearing puller for 7$

and last but not least my chain alignment tool

a 16 in adjustable square. Remove the chain guard and lay it on the side of the rear sprocket under the chain and it will align it better than any of the specialty tools I've used in the past.

I know this post was kind of showcasing new tools but I though some of the homemade substitutions might also be helpfull.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:46 AM

Classic
Check out entry #39 and you'll see what I'm talking about

Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 AM

The calenders in the background are far more interesting than Mr Grabby Thing

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM

I don't know why I haven't seen this thread (probably because I didn't know this section of the board existed before yesterday. (this should be put it the general section too))

With that being said here are my favorites.

Favorite Allen wrench set...
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...bb5717_300.jpg
Has a nice carrier for the set and a t-handle. That and husky makes some pretty high quality stuff (that coming from a snapon tool fan)

My Favorite Electrical tool is the power probe three. It's like a test light on supersonic steroids. You hook it up to batt power and ground and you can test wires. It will tell you whether its a power (and how many volts are on it) a ground, or a dead wire. It also has a rocker switch that allows you to apply power or ground to any circuit you're testing. And it also had a ground lead so you can test things like lites and motors in the palm of your hand
http://www.toolsource.com/prod_medium/99668.jpg

More in a while. Duty calls And I have to go put my snapon solus scan tool to work

Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM

I also am a BIG fan of the Craftsmen open ended ratcheting wrenches. They're Great to have around whenever you're working on lines (fuel, brakes, ect.). I also find them coming in handy where ever I'm working on lower ball joints where the hub prevents clearance of a regular ratcheting wrench on alot of newer vehicles and to adjust tie rod ends.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914756000P
(i dont use these ones but the ones with a open end on both ends-four wrenches/8 sizes. I use snapon (bluepoint) boxend ratcheting wrenches)

Other invaluable tools are my snapon bore scope (camera on an extention), air hammer, and the aforementioned solus scanner, my ingersol rand impact wrenches (3/8 and 1/2 drive), my bluepoint 1/4 air ratchet and my matco 3/8 air ratchet. I'm sure there are a ton more but I'll update as they come to mind

Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went in there today to get a set and the Guy in front of me snagged the last set
So had 'em order me some for next week.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Went in there today to get a set and the Guy in front of me snagged the last set
So had 'em order me some for next week.
A set of??

Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Craftsmen open ended ratcheting wrenches (metric)

Quick Reply: Good Tools & Other Helpful Inventions