The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Cooling Vest for Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling Vest for Hot Weather

Hello CBR Friends,

I wanted to share something with all of you that ride in hot weather. I think this is the right forum for it, but if not let me know. I live in Chicago, and it gets pretty hot in the summer. I commute often, and my ride home is full of construction projects and that means really long traffic delays. I ride with full gear and a full face helmet, and I tell you even with mesh jacket and pants, I cook. I've tried those cooling hoodies and towels to try and get some relief. They sorta kinda work, but not that well. Both items are dry by the time I get home. I began looking at cooling vests online. They sounded promising, but I was reluctant to spend $100 or more on something I didn't have a lot of faith in. I found one on amazon for $13.99. I figured why not? If it doesn't work, no big deal. So I ordered it. It came a day earlier than expected, so good customer service. I tried it out the following day. It was a hot day, so it would be a good test. I followed the instructions on how to soak it in water. I put in on over a T-shirt and under my mesh jacket. I immediately felt the "coolness" of the vest. When I headed out on the road, the effect was remarkable. It really cools you down. Keep in mind that it must have air flowing over it to function properly. It works great under a mesh jacket. I rode for an hour and it it was still cooling me off when I pulled into my driveway. I took it off and it was still very moist. I'm sure I could've gone for longer without it drying out. After I took it off, I noticed my chest and back were really cool to the touch. I have to say this vest works great. I'm 6' tall, 195 pounds with a 44" chest. The Large fits perfectly. It should be a snug fit so that it contacts your body for full effect. This is the best $13.99 I ever spent. So for all of you that ride in the heat, try it out. I think you'll like it. Shkhypevest Techniche Hyperkewl Evaporative Cooling Vest.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, gets hot here when our stuck in traffic. good thing my commute home is only ten minutes lol

Old 08-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a good product

One thing I learned over the years is, to not get stuck in urban traffic, especially on a Hurricane. 25 or 50 miles out of the way is better than stop and go on the freeway, no matter where you live.

Find the alt routes.

Always much cooler

Old 08-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You are so right about that. It gets really hot sitting in traffic. I found a route that is a good deal longer, but at least I keep moving.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Years ago one of the magazines did a ride in the desert. They rode in a soaked snowmobile suite. At some point the rider had to zip it shut due to getting to cold.