How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Cam chain – preparing the replacement - cbr1000f

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cam chain – preparing the replacement - cbr1000f

PREPARING THE REPLACEMENT CAM CHAIN – CBR1000F

Copy containing pictures currently only available by download from

http://tinyurl.com/9lcrcy3

This 14 page “How To” is prepared my NagaThai for all those people who, like myself, ride a CBR1000F, have limited mechanical ability but a great desire to learn. It is not intended for those who are already mechanics. There are many, many pictures (by intent) so you can see “How To” rather than be told. Pictures also provide part numbers for parts you can purchase. This “How To” is the forward to “REPLACEMENT CAM CHAIN & TENSIONER – CBR1000F”.
< Notifications of errors, omissions & improvements gratefully accepted>

INCLUDES>>>

INTRODUCTION
The Honda cam chain is 150 pins (or links) long.
On buying an aftermarket (DID) – or Honda – we split the chain and later join with a special link. A chain of any length of 150 links or greater, that meets the specification of SCA-0412A, will do. (You will see mine was 156 links long to start with – because that is what the dealer had in stock).
< CAUTION - Don’t confuse links with “side plates”. Each side plate has 2 links or pins. >

MEASURE TWICE – CUT ONCE
  • I painted one link white (paper white correction tape / fluid) to mark the start of counting.
  • I marked every 10th link with red tape.
  • Place the connect link above the chain
  • Pull chain together to ensure 150 pins.
  • Mark pins to be ground down and removed with red nail polish.
  • Repeat the above to check your counting before grinding the heads off of the pins.
  • Practice using the breaker before grinding the pins.
  • Grind the heads from your marked links. As these plates are not used there is no problem in grinding right down to them.
  • Correctly ground down pins. These pins are hardened and take some effort.
  • Excess links removed. I then practiced several times on the bench to ensure smooth and confident connection of new joining link. Remember when doing this on the bike space is limited and you have the added concern of dropping these small parts into the motor. Practice makes perfect. You have now correctly prepared your new cam chain.

Notes:
  • The chain breaker / riveter has to match the pin size of the chain which is 2.3 mm diameter.
  • With regards to the chain breaker / riveter that I purchased. The breaker pin was too long for the chain to fit and the pin had to be ground back by 3 mm.

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 10-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrific. Can't wait to see the rest.