Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

When you bought your bike...did you ride it back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny that you post this. I got mine about a month ago or so. I had only rode around the block a few years back. I've had tons of experience on different bikes (FZR 600, Rebel250, and a Ninja 600) but never had or rode more then a couple of hours. So when i get my CBR a month back i was kinda scared. On top of that i had to drive it 25 miles home on a bad rear tire and over heating. i was careful but i don't recommend it. Just got it into tip top shape a week ago and oh boy it feels like a whole new machine.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure did! Met the previous owner just outside a logging town at a T section in the middle off nowhere. Luckily I have a good view of the straight along the highway to which I knew the bike would be coming from. Was a crisp morning towards the end of winter, the sun was out and the bike looked mint and sounded evil as it approached. It was love at first sight. Deal done the departing words from the previous where " make sure your leaning on over her when you change gears 9k and over" thought oh hell what have I got here. Was not bad at all, ride back was to short but will remember that freedom and the face splitting grin on that first ride.

Last edited by Kiwi born; 04-16-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Default Down the Columbia Gorge and River

I picked my bike up in Kennewick, Washington, while visiting family. My wife FOLLOWED me home, 215 miles, down the scenic Columbia Gorge and Columbia River, to just outside Portland, Oregon.

Early April, 2012, and I had perfect weather to ride in, until about Hood River, when the wind met me... I just tucked a little tighter, and pushed on through to her new home.

For a bike that is 21 years young, she still turns heads and gets the compliments...

Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 PM

The day I planned on buying my bike, I had my coworker pick me up in the morning and rode to work with him. After work, he gave me a ride to get the bike and I rode back 17 miles. Keep in mind I had never ridden anything over 200cc so it was a lot of fun having a bit more power.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my friend to come with me and him ride my bike to his house where there is less traffic then got on and we both rode our bikes to lunch

Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Yup.. Took the BRC last December... Never been on a bike before... Hadn't been since.... About three weeks ago Had the wife drop me off, I rode the 20 miles home... Been easing into it... Been up to 85... But for the most part I take it out for about an hour a day... Streets and freeway.... In this time I've had a master cylinder rebuild, new plugs, straighten the shifter pedal, oil change.... Clay bared and waxed... Need to play with the throttle linkages so it will snap back...and now I'm seeing what might be a stator. Or regulator issue....

Enjoying every minute.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Bought my fist CBR1000F hurricane.... a very modified street fighter... about 6 and a ha;f years ago... ran out of fuel on the motorway on the way home... got my son to bring a can and tried to get it going again... started very rough and I set off tapping the external fuel filter with my left hand, and suddenly got a handful of throttle. Well it took off, literally, and threw me and itself into a spin, breaking the engine cover across my knee on landing. Having been rescued by the Police 45 minuets later laying in the grass on the hard shoulder with mild hypothermia and delivered to A&E... I spent a week in hospital and several months in a cast, fixing the bike as best I could. Sadly I lost my new job over this (my main reason for buying the bike to commute on) and I never fully enjoyed the bike after that. Still have it for spares and today I bought my 2nd CBR1000f, this time a way more back to basics bike with standard riding position. I figured at 57 I deserve more comfort. I just rode 140+ miles home... motorway all the way, and got more confident every mile till the rain started. Shocking pain in my thigh/hip... I suspect the foot pegs and my boots are incompatible... but I will search the forums for helpful suggestions. Can't fault the way it runs and makes me feel young again.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM

I bought mine 6 weeks before doing my Direct access course having not ridden anything for 20 years and NEVER anything over 250cc. The plan was for my in laws to collect it in the van for me. Panic stations because the guy rang and said if I don't come now he's got someone else wants it so I had to go and get it. I know I shouldn't have but I didn't want to miss this bike. I'm glad I didn't either. I rode it very gingerly and he watched me leave thinking I had a clue what I was doing. Luckily I didn't embarrass myself and got home safely

Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 AM

Bought mine a week before my final A test, had a quick ride around before saying yes, then my Father in law followed me back (reporting to my wife if I was speeding as i was under strict instructions). I did manage to loose him in traffic and opened her up.

All good fun!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM

Yes I drove mine home having never ever even having a bike with a motor between my legs. Guy at the stealership gave me the QUICK clutch shift and brake demo. And in my brand new helmet and sweatshirt and bluejeans I was off. Felt amazing and powerful and after having it a while started fiddling with is and she came alive twice as much after a carb cleaning. It was an early June day and a quick 10 min ride home. Love her more and more the longer I own her but that stealership took me to the cleaners. Tell me one that doesn't though. That was 4 years ago and now im thinking about buying a cruiser and making my f2 a track bike.

Quick Reply: When you bought your bike...did you ride it back?