Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What's your biggest fear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's your biggest fear?

I remember someone saying he didn't think my low side would shake my confidence since I'd been riding for a minute. I think we all have some fear, that nobody except the dead or soon to be are totally fearless.

So what's your biggest fear? Mine is not being able to stop in time. It affects both my corner entry speed and braking overall. I take corners slower than I could. And brake hard earlier than I should / could, sometimes leaving too much 'dead' space between throttle and brakes. Or when coming to a full stop, I can transition to rear brake only to stop (Yolie's front brakes protest being used at slow speeds / being used lightly)

Old 07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough one to answer.

I have no real fears in regards to bike handling although I'm aware that $hit happens so don't be shocked when it does.

The only true 'fear' I have sometimes is of catastrophic failure. Doesn't help when you know you've personally had every single part of your bike in your hands at one time. I've blown a chain on a drag bike and I've had a rear brake caliper brake lose on a race bike and lock up the rear wheel with a BANG like I got hit from behind with a cinder block.

Both situations were like a hand grenades going off and blinding your senses for a few seconds which is like a few light years under those circumstances. Your just helpless and hoping the gods are looking out for you.

I guess that sums up my fear, having no control with no warning. I feel like as long as I have control , I can get myself out of it. Thinking back on it now, same thing happend once was I was younger. Broke a front axle on a dirtbike and lost all control of the front end. That one I wasn't so lucky. So yea..... that. :0

Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Sandy corners. I dropped my bike today on a nice smooth concrete floor that was nice and slick. Couldn't get my self stable in time to catch it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM

id have to say im pretty much the same way as you kuroshio. i almost always slow down way too early, and sometimes have to even give a little throttle to get back to proper speed.. and i hate pea gravel too! even if i just see a couple pebbles on a corner, i slow WAY down just to make sure i dont see any more. but id have to say my biggest fear would be having someone pull out right in front of me while im at highway speed. it almost happens on a daily basis, and has actually happened a few times this year already. luckily i pay enough attention and am able to get around them while laying on the horn, drop a gear or 2 and blow them away.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see there's a lil worry in other ppl's noggins

Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Tire blow out!!! Jeez I try not to think about it but it always seems to pop into my head when I get going over 70. Oh and damn deer. I know to many people that have been hit by deer not them hitting deer. The other night there was a bunch of them freaking out in the road. Not only did I almost rear end the guy in front of me when he slammed on his breaks the damn deer about ran into me. Sometimes I think I should find a way to mount one of those deer whistles to my bike lol.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 AM

i would say gravel on corners for sure! always trips me out and i always slow way down.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 AM

yea, hitting deer would be another one since i often ride home from work at night in a marshy/wooded area.. i never go over 45 on my way home from work if its dark! i usually end up with cars lining up behind me lol.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 PM

My biggest fear is other motorists. I am confident in my equipment, and confident in riding within my abilities, but I have no confidence in other motorists.

Example:

I am cruising through the back part of town at 30-35mph, and out from between two houses (narrow alley) comes a Cadillac Escalade full throttle. I initiate a quickstop as he is about half way in the street. I stop within a foot of him. He stops in my path, and just stares at me like a deer in the headlights. Then, he motions for me to go ahead, as if he didnt almost kill me.

My fear is that even doing everything right, I will still get injured by some asshat behind the wheel. And as they cart me off to the hospital or morgue, they will go home to their family.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM

For me, its braking as well. I get a little nervous about locking up my tires(product of a driver who has abs in this canyon car..lol) On my canyon runs when i did have my Belldandy (my f4i's name :3) i'd slow down WAY too early than i'd do when cornering in my car :/ it's really scary. I remember slipping out my rear tire during rain when i first started. my heart skipped a beat. I thought I was going to die (even though i was going only like 33mph..lol) mainly because there were a bunch of cars around me. But yeah, I'm with you; my confidence in braking is very low compared to my braking (my strong point in my aggressive car driving) I wanted to improve, but sadly, sold my bike. lol

Quick Reply: What's your biggest fear?