Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that speed limit is the speed that anybody can go through safely according to traffic engineers. So any new places, I will first go with speed limit within my own lane, then push myself to do it bit faster and faster as more times I ride on those places.

And yes, you are right the speed limit there is 35.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
August 2011 ROTM

From the website estate mentioned

"If you notice that cornering doesn't go like you would like it to go, that you can't find the right lines, that you make mistakes like going off the throttle, than those are signs that you should enter corners at a lower speed."

I've went off the throttle before. yeah the speed was bit too fast and I got scared.

"Emergency Brake (while cornering): pull the clutch, and brake with your front brake.
Be careful, and keep pushing your bike into the corner (for most people, the outer knee and outer buttock works best in this situation), because your bike will try to straighten up (and thus steer out of the corner).
When you practice, you will be able to brake rather hard in corners!"

I am scared to practice this...

Last edited by yumoncbr; 01-20-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
From the website estate mentioned

"If you notice that cornering doesn't go like you would like it to go, that you can't find the right lines, that you make mistakes like going off the throttle, than those are signs that you should enter corners at a lower speed."

I've went off the throttle before. yeah the speed was bit too fast and I got scared.

"Emergency Brake (while cornering): pull the clutch, and brake with your front brake.
Be careful, and keep pushing your bike into the corner (for most people, the outer knee and outer buttock works best in this situation), because your bike will try to straighten up (and thus steer out of the corner).
When you practice, you will be able to brake rather hard in corners!"

I am scared to practice this...
First, don't practice'somethinglike this on a live corner. Find a big empty parking lot (really big cause you'll be going bout 25) and practice braking in gentle turns.

A corner is just another turn. The principles are the same and the bike will react the same. So it doesn't matter if you're barely leaned or dragging a knee while you're leaning. What you want is a speed where countersteering is in effect and you're comfortable instead of scared.

Do you have any tracks local, Yumi?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
August 2011 ROTM

No tracks here parking lot is a good idea. haha I was thinking about practicing this on the street lol

Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
No tracks here parking lot is a good idea. haha I was thinking about practicing this on the street lol
No, no and did I say "NO"? If you want to practice anything that makes you scared or nervous, you should try to find a place where you can control as many factors as possible.

In a lot you're in full control of your speed, not traffic demanding you get it moving. Opposing traffic and double yellow lines aren't limiting how wide you can turn. And you can stop anytime to catch your breath, think about you did and dance when you get it right (all dancing must be video'd and forwarded to me ).

When you feel comfortable in a lot, you can start trying on the street with some confidence already built up. It'll make it less likely of you making n00b mistakes like target fixation or chopping throttle when the randomness of the street makes things tense.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I will go back to the parking lot where I practiced when I first got the bike. Just the thought of applying the brake while turning is scary. But this is different from applying the brake while handlebar is turned. I think I will practice applying the brake in different amount going straight first before I do the turn practice. Thanks

Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 PM

To be honest Yumi, the more I think about this the worse and worse it sounds.

I don't see anything wrong with standing the bike up and braking. Even braking while standing the bike up. This is talking street riding. Braking hard while attempting to maintain lean angle says "track technique" to me. This is something I'd want someone like randyjoy to explain. Preferably demonstrate.

From a practical standpoint on the street, I see little use for this. If i came around a blind corner and found an obstacle requiring me to brake, more than likely I'd want to come to either a dead stop or drastically change my line. Both would be far easier from an upright position

Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
If i came around a blind corner and found an obstacle requiring me to brake, more than likely I'd want to come to either a dead stop or drastically change my line. Both would be far easier from an upright position
I will probably do the same. I rather straighten the bike and brake. Thanks

Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM

^Yea that certainly sounds like a more advanced technique. I'm relatively new to street riding, but I read this on there as well and really started questioning the advice Tips for braking on a motorcycle,

"Unwanted locked wheel
So, what should you do in case of an unexpected locked wheel?
Both with the rear and front brake, it is a matter of letting the brake go, a *little*."

With the front wheel that's good, but w/ the rear you can high side if you let the wheel regain traction. I was told to ride out a rear wheel slide/lock by my MSF instructor, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by chambers
^Yea that certainly sounds like a more advanced technique. I'm relatively new to street riding, but I read this on there as well and really started questioning the advice Tips for braking on a motorcycle,

"Unwanted locked wheel
So, what should you do in case of an unexpected locked wheel?
Both with the rear and front brake, it is a matter of letting the brake go, a *little*."

With the front wheel that's good, but w/ the rear you can high side if you let the wheel regain traction. I was told to ride out a rear wheel slide/lock by my MSF instructor, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
Not quite. It's the abrupt regaining of traction that'll highside you. Or if the rear is fishtailing, doing so when the rear is drastically out of line with the front.

Easing off the rear brake, instead of yanking your foot off like you stepped on a hot coal, will work. There's a really good article I rear recently about high sides that explains this. But I'm waiting of the author's permission to upload first

Quick Reply: Corners: Speed / Gear Guidelines?