How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Clean your carbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: Clean your carbs

nothing is attached...but the drains are closed..hence why gas isn't leaking out of them...lol

Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM

just did this on my f2, thank you so much, made it so easy.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:07 PM

I was damn impressed with this step by step guide that I decided to clean mine. I have an F3 and it has been a b*gger to start. Checked sparks OK bit sooty but nothing major. Valve clearances were only checked by a garage (if they actually did it!) last year so they should be fine. So I was thinking carbs....based on plenty of posts in these forums. I dont ride very often so it is possible that there has been some varnishing in the carbs.

SO got my Haynes Manual out and a print out of theis great guide and off we go.... Except I ended up putting everything back exactly as it was. Could I get access to the retaining screws at the base of each carb to get them off. Like hell. I canno tbelieve anyone can get their mits down there let alone with a screwdriver, which makes me think you can only clean your carbs if you get your engine out.

SO thats where I am at. IT may be something else. My choke seems shot. On cold start with choke on I dont ever get a start without a blip on the throttle to help things out. And then I need to take choke off fast or it screws up the mix and engine dies. Can anyone think of anything else it might be? Its not the end of the world it starts but when the owner manual says never use throttle and choke on start ("hardstarting" I think they call it) I think things are only going to get worse. Its not the battery.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Excellent write up, really helped me . The hardest part I had was removing the carbs. HOLY ****! For those that are doing this for the first time, there are also upper band clamps that need to be loose.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 PM

i was just wondering what do you guys mean by carbs need to be synched ?have no idea what this means

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM

I'm doing this tomorrow. I'm pretty excited my F2 has been running like garbage. I broke down a few weeks ago and I drain the bowls and black gas comes out, it's full of what looks like rust particles, I cleaned my gas tank out and now it's time for some carb cleaning. I can't wait to get my F2 running like a dream.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Great write up, I did mine last night since my bike isn't starting and I was replacing the plugs I figured I may as well do this while I have it all apart. The two things I struggled with most were just getting the carbs off the bike itself and dealing with those stupid gasket and springs on the vacuum chamber, those things can be a punk to get back together!

I guess the question I have is do the carbs need synch'd everytime you clean them? I ask this because I don't have the tools required to do this job.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM

I'm thinking those lines are for synchronizing the carbs using the right equipment, my mechanic buddy installed them on my bike when he was inspecting through it last year. I have three of them, coming off the block and going to three solid plugs on the airbox.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 AM

how often do u suggest to clean them

Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 PM

The MOST important part of cleaning carbs is completely NOT here. You have to take out the jets (all of them) and insure they are whistle clean. Main jet, pilot/starter jet, etc....ESPECIALLY the pilot/starter jet. It has the smallest orifice and will gum up fast. Makes bike impossible to start and/or keep running on idle without choke. There is way more to this than pulling the float off and cleaning the bowl !!!

Quick Reply: How To: Clean your carbs