How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Clean your carbs

Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: Clean your carbs

great write up! I have no idea what parts you cleaned but it was great! I am mechanically stupid! just dumb when it comes to mechanics. I can change the oil though, other than that, I am just a dumb as you will find! GREAT WRITE UP!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 AM

My local shop wants to charge about 400 bucks for this. You just saved me a bunch of cash. Great writeup man.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 PM

thanks for the info. iwas wondering though do your carbs when on the bike and everything back on filter bopx air filter and so on, do your carbs spit fuel on to your air filter. because when i took out my air filter it was saturated with fuel. just wondering.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 PM

same as my local shop as well im too lazy to do it myself now theres a great walkthru to gide me thru it.
ORIGINAL: stynkmonkey

My local shop wants to charge about 400 bucks for this. You just saved me a bunch of cash. Great writeup man.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 AM

****HOW TO CLEAN THE IDLE JET** Bike not idling, only idles with choke on, LOW RPM sucks, with no power at low RPM

On the picture above, looking down into the float bowl. Those 3 little brass things, 2 of which have slots for a screwdriver, take a very well matched screw driver to the little one, apply some downward pressure, they are in there a little tight. Take it out and try to look through it. you should see a hole a little bigger than a fishing line, if it is really small, or you cant see through, it needs to be cleaned. Take some carb cleaner, and that jet, and soak it in a pool of cleaner for about 15 mins. Take it out of the cleaner, and get some fishing line, push it through the jet, through that tiny hole, then ones its all the way through spin it on the line to get all the junk loose. Take the line out and put the jet back into the cleaner. swirl it around, take it out and wipe it down, apply more cleaner. re-install, pushing down on the screwdriver to not strip it. Then just reassemble, and your good to go.

If your bike is only not running well on idle, and low rpms, you only have to clean this!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19490/A1D901927F3B434CA2AFD5CD3BF2C620.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Whats the bigger one with a screw hole also, next to it?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 PM

redzintimidator: Good post, my idle jets were filthy. After a cleaning i can see through them much better.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM

Ive almost completed this, have the carbs mounted back on and almost all the lines hooked up.
I have a question on 4 vacume lines. They are located under the carbs on the engine, one for each cylinder. The lines are these.

Now whats confusing and there are 4 spots directly above them on each carb, and 4 spots for them on the air box

Carb spots. The 4 nipples under the bowls.

Where do those vacume lines off the engine go?

If they go on the airbox. What goes on the 4 nipples on the carbs pictured?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:05 AM

those 4 nipples on the carbs are for nothing. They are just to drain the bowls.

I dont know what those vac lines are. They aren't on my F3...maybe something for cali emissions??

Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 AM

Those lines go from down by the block to the air cleaner then, which i kinda figured since they are pictured with the air cleaner parts. Does for F3 what any hose on those carb drains or are they just left open with nothing attached?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Clean your carbs