How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Everything you need to know about HID installs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely, these things are cheap as chips now-a-days. To think I almost dropped hundreds of dollars a few years ago to get this done to my car...

I see what you're saying about the ballast being cheap to replace - the big issue with that (and these 1 headlamp bikes) is that Murphy's Law dictates your ballast will fail juuuuust when you are leaving you buddies place at around midnight. Pillion trips after your bike has failed are the worst... trust me.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 AM
June 2013 ROTM

HID relay is in. See the video here
I never make videos like this, so please excuse my ramblings and such. See the links in the description for a better look at where the wires we cut are.

SORRY FOR THE CRAP VIDEO

Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see a vid...is it just me?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Weird... it got pulled from my other post too...

Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM

A word about DDM. I have purchased 4 or 5 of their kits through the years. The one time I had a ballast fail was in my current car. I e-mailed DDM, received a RMA number, hand wrote a description of what the problem was and I was mailed a new ballast. Their digital slim ballasts carry a lifetime warranty.

As a side note, their auto kits are about 35-50 bucks. Why not buy a car kit and have a spare bulb and ballast??

Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
I've read about people melting their reflective housings or lenses using 55W kits, so selecting a 35W kit with the proper bulb, the difference shouldn't be too great.
So is there a limit or guide we should be following for the max. or recommended temp? anything in the thousands seems like it's too much so I don't really get it all that well how do we calculate what's a good combination to chose between the 35/55w and the various different options on the K temperature scale?
Thanks for clearing things up with HIDs BTW