General Tech Stickies These helpful threads are the all stars and must reads ...

how to diagnose the charging system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Most likely the Regulator/Rectifier is bad, not the Stator. Stators don't go bad that often, but the R/R does. When reving, you should be getting 13v to 14v.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the helpful info. I have a 95 F3 and I use it as a commuter most of the time. The battery stays perfectly fine for weeks under these conditions, but I find that if I ride for longer periods of time, especially in stop and go traffic on a warm day (when my cooling fan comes on) the battery will drain to a point that I can't start it.

For example, yesterday, I went out riding and I got stuck in traffic for quite awhile, rode at low speeds for about an hour or so. I made a stop at the store and when I tried to restart the battery was barely even able to crank the motor. Luckily I was on a hill so I roll started it and rode straight home, this time I was on the highway most of the way with no stops. Once I got home I shut the bike off and immediately tried it again and it fired right up.

So it seems to me that I may have some problem with lower RPM's or speeds especially when the cooling fan is coming on and off. Would anyone consider this normal, and if not what would you think the most likely cause is?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I would hate to say normal, but what you're describing is a worst case scenario for putting a load on a battery. It's unfortunate that the bike doesn't charge the battery effectively below around 2500 or so rpm's. How old is the battery ? Do you still have the factory Regulator/Rectifier on your F3. If so, I'd consider installing one from a GSX/R.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Default 99 cbr 900rr

I ran through the diagnostics.

I got 14.5V at 5000 RPMs when connected to the battery.

I ran the leakage test, but the multi tester said 11.95V with the regulator/rectifier connected, and disconected it gave a reading of 3.5V. I dont think my multi tester gives mA readings, so I cant tell if this is good or bad.

How do I check the stator?
I read that I should get 30-60V at 3000 RPMs.
Do I start the bike with the regulator/rectifier disconnected?
Where do I put the prongs of the multi tester? I am guessing into the wiring plug for the reg/rec (white electrical clip with approx 5 different colored wires going into it). Does it matter which color wires the prongs of the multi tester make contact with?

Thanks again for the help everyone!
I hope to discover the issue that is holding me back from riding on this nice day.

On a good note, after charging a few hours last night at 2amps, she started right up. I charged it a couple more hours this morning before running the tests, and she started right up again.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Thumbs up Think I fixed it

Running the diagnostics again with a proper mutli tester, I discovered that the leakage was excessive when the reg/rec was connected, and when it was disconnected it gave proper readings.

Before going to get a new part I took the reg/rec off of my brothers 96 900RR, part numbers were the same but it seemed to be a different lot or batch number. Ran the leakage test again and got a good reading. (1.1)

I think it is fixed now!

The faulty reg/rec gave me alot of electrical issues, and the instructions from the forum were very helpful, matched the steps in the service manual directly.

The Alternator Connector, P3, behind battery, under the seat. Its got 3 yellow wires, and is covered by a rubber sheath, along with another connector (green also 3 wires). Well, the Alternator Connector is partially melted, should I get this fixed again. Last year it was completely melted, blackened, and crispy when the mechanic unclipped it. He had to rewire it cause there was no way it would have connected again. I am not sure if this will create more problems for me, or if the reg/rec was the reason it was getting too hot and melting?

Any suggestions? Right now I am thinking of riding for a week and seeing if it gets any worse. I think it was the reg/rec that was creating excessive heat and melting the wires to the connector. All the electrical diagnostics had proper results once I swapped the reg/rec though.

Thanks again for all the help! Great posts, saved me alot of headaches, and I am excited to have the problem fixed!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I would hate to say normal, but what you're describing is a worst case scenario for putting a load on a battery. It's unfortunate that the bike doesn't charge the battery effectively below around 2500 or so rpm's. How old is the battery ? Do you still have the factory Regulator/Rectifier on your F3. If so, I'd consider installing one from a GSX/R.
Thanks for the reply, I'm not really sure if I have the factory Rectifier or not, I'm going to conduct the tests as outlined here and I'll see if I do. Is there any year of GSX/R rectifier that I should look for?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM

I know one guy already asked this question, but I didn't see the answer, so I will ask it as well. What is the order on the three yellow wires on a 93 cbr 900rr? I found a nice detailed wiring schematic for it, but it's just a view looking down, so I can't tell where the wires go into the plug. One guy told me that I had the wrong regulator, he said the one I should have has the wires coming off of the regulator, but the one I had was just one that you plug into. What do you guys think? Let me know if I gave you enough info to help with the problem. I'm trying to get it going since summer is finally here and I am having hell. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM

I do not believe there is a particular order for the yellow wires. I read this somewhere, possibly on this site, or another forum. Probably this one. I go here most of all.
The only concern I would have is weather or not they need to be in sequence, with the order of the spinning stator. I have never heard of this...... but thought I would throw it out there.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Ok so i rev'd it to 5k and it stayed at 12.8v... but there is no step 4. What should i do next?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Also for step 3... it was 1.33mA.

Quick Reply: how to diagnose the charging system