General Tech Stickies These helpful threads are the all stars and must reads ...

The dos and don'ts of lowering your bike to fit you.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The dos and don'ts of lowering your bike to fit you.

I got my bike(600RR)lowered when I bought it last week (cause it is just not made for 5'2), I just want to comment on how i think it is stupid that Honda did not think about the fact that the thing sits straight up after being lowered 2"!! They delivered it to me, and said, "Hey you should keep that in the garage or not out on a windy day till you get the kickstand cut down." What?? They didn't even know where to send me to to have it done. Luckily my husbands Harley dealership did have some advise, and we got it doen from some guy for $30.

Oh, and about starting out on a 600. I felt pretty intimidated until I had it lowered, but I didn't ride it till I did. I feel really good on it coming from a HD Sportster, since it weighed like 7 or 800lbs I believe. I can't wait till the weather gets better, and I can really take her out and ride her!!! Only been able to take her out3 or 4 times so far. Kinda hard to get out when you have small kids.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NUMBER ONE reason to start small is to improve your skill level and be safe. Think about it, anybody can go fast on engine alone, say a 600 vs a 250. But if you start small and improve your skill enough to make that 250 keep up with the guy on the 600, once you get ready for the 600 you'll be able to leave squid boy in the dust. Then of course he'll buy a 1000 and when you improve your skill enough on the 600 to stay with the litre bike, and actually buy a 1000, you'll be BY FAR the superior rider. It's just common sense. Sorry about being off topic but I had to say something...

Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: matt_m427

The NUMBER ONE reason to start small is to improve your skill level and be safe. Think about it, anybody can go fast on engine alone, say a 600 vs a 250. But if you start small and improve your skill enough to make that 250 keep up with the guy on the 600, once you get ready for the 600 you'll be able to leave squid boy in the dust. Then of course he'll buy a 1000 and when you improve your skill enough on the 600 to stay with the litre bike, and actually buy a 1000, you'll be BY FAR the superior rider. It's just common sense. Sorry about being off topic but I had to say something...
It all depends on how you start... in some countries you get your driverslicense with a pack of butter, and in some (Holland for example) you've got a really extensive training ( about 20 hours when you learn fast! ) before you can go to a exam.. and there are two exams..

So everybody here that get their license can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3PzF2OL1Nc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Oas4V7cOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_ba...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLbL...eature=related

As you can see it involves mad steering, braking, everything you need. When i go over to Belgium (our neighbours on the south), they have the same system as the USA.. i beat _every_ rider in that country in corners _on my old 88 hurricane_

Ontopic:

can they also be highered? 6f 5" (196cm) here..

Old 03-10-2008, 02:56 AM

It seem that some have R1 and 900cc as there first bike. I have one sugggestion why don't we all advise all the new motorbike riders to go out and purchase a hyabusa or a zx14r as their first bike.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 AM

i have been riding for years, started young by my dad on 50cc bikes then moved up, yadda yadda yadda. as far as what cc to start at................. that depends on the rider, what they feel comfy with. THATS IT!!!!!! some people have a natural abillity to ride, they could have started with a zx14 and been fine, some have NO ability to ride and need to start out on a 150 scooter! every one has a valid point, but its a point based off of there personal opion! so you are all right and yet all wrong.... deal with it.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM

how about you take the responsability away from the bike and the company.. and put it on the rider???
The person themself has to have the common sense to know what they are on and what it is capable of...
If the person has no clues.. then even a Harley electra glide can be too fast....
If you have no common sense, reflexes.. or take the time to learn.. then any bike can and will get away` from you...

i started on a 1200 sportster.. then my first
"psuedo" street bike was an SV1000.... who has the money to buy bikes in stages?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 AM

I'm about to lower my 98 cbr f3 one more setting cuz well im a short guy and i like to be close to flat footed. But as for a starter bike it was a 86 yamaha Fj 1200. The price was right and it actually fit me pretty well. Not what i would suggest as a starter though.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 PM

I've thought about lowering mine before, just been worried about snagging a peg taking a corner. Some like their bikes for cruising/show, others like them for cornering etc., different strokes for different folks. =)

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM

How this got turned into "What size is too big?" i don't know but.... "It's not the size of the bike it's how you use it!" Sound familiar guys... Everyone can say a 600rr is too big. How ever it really does go back to how competent and how intelligent you ride. I got told a 600rr was TOOOOOO!!! big what a lot of crap. It's perfect!!! If you are not comfortable on your bike a 250 could be too big. If you are comfortable with a 600rr after you lower it (the right way) more power to you. One thing that cannot be expressed enough is do notmess with the geometrics of the bike. I know you will say "lowering it does effect the geometrics of a bike" however if everthing is done in balances; it will work out in the end.

In case you can't tell I was and still am a newbie on a 600rr; RESPECT THE BIKE IT WILL RESPECT YOU BACK!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM

So... where are dos and don'ts of lowering?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The dos and don'ts of lowering your bike to fit you.