General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong regulator rectifier cbr600f2

Old 10-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong regulator rectifier cbr600f2

Hey guys i'm new here and need some help with my bike. i recently bought a cbr600f2 and ive been finding out that this thing is just cobbled together runs alright when it runs but im having a problem with the battery dying. i did some searching and found out i have the wrong regulator rectifier on there. seems the person i bought it from spliced some wiring and put the wrong part on there i wanna know if i can make this work. the black wires coming from the top are going to the battery's positive and negative posts i feel like the wires from the original connector should be going into this thing but there is no part number so i have no idea which would go where or even if thats right i know its a shot in the dark but maybe one of you have seen something like this before, anything will help thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Wrong regulator rectifier cbr600f2-regulator.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of F2/F3/F4 guys switch to a gsxr regulator, and they hardwire it. All regulators do the same thing, so the only issue is whether or not your R/R can handle the load of the stator, and making sure its wired correctly.

Do you have any pictures of it? You say spliced, I hope you don't mean with butt connectors, that would be...not great... And you should try to identify it so you know what you have and if its capable.

Don't automatically dismiss other parts being on your bike, right away. Sometimes, its an upgrade. I have parts from all the big 4 on my bike...

Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

That regulator has heat sink fins for cooling. A much better design than what Honda came up with when your bike was made. The R/R is a common failure point, especially on older bikes with the older design.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
A lot of F2/F3/F4 guys switch to a gsxr regulator, and they hardwire it. All regulators do the same thing, so the only issue is whether or not your R/R can handle the load of the stator, and making sure its wired correctly.

Do you have any pictures of it? You say spliced, I hope you don't mean with butt connectors, that would be...not great... And you should try to identify it so you know what you have and if its capable.

Don't automatically dismiss other parts being on your bike, right away. Sometimes, its an upgrade. I have parts from all the big 4 on my bike...
pictures of that actual wiring or the r/r? i attached a pic of the r/r i think. and the splicing is crude like a 22 gauge wire wrapped around a 14 gauge with nothing more then old electrical tape holding them together. its kinda odd to me that not all of the wires from the old connector are being used with the new connectors they're just sitting there. there is no part number on the r/r and i've spent sometime doing a google image comparison and this is what looks closest to what is on my bike Buy New Regulator/Rectifier Kawasaki/Yamaha - Heavy Duty

Old 10-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two wires that are not being used as is are indeed what the two black wires should be connected to. The green is a common ground, and the red/white is going to the battery VIA THE MAIN 30AMP FUSE which is now being bypassed, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that is a bad move. Also all twist n tape connections should be immediately soldered and the person that has made them nutered. There are some pretty big currents flowing there and a bad connection starts to easily heat up. To the question why is your battery going flat, do you have a multimeter? Test what the pole current in your battery reads while idling, does it go up while revving and how much. Those bodged up connections can at least partly explain why it's not charging properly. As said the original reg/rec does not have fins and it's a common upgrade to swap another one in that does.

First off solder the wires, cut the leads going to the battery and attach the one that goes to the + pole to the red/white, and the one that goes to the - pole to the green.

Last edited by Mattson; 10-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.