General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who will get a Skully helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who will get a Skully helmet?

So, I just read about skully's up and coming digital helmet that allows us to have an integrated gps, bluetooth call monitor and rear view camera all in one helmet. It looks pretty good too. Anyone going to get one?

Here's the article on it:
Skully Is The Ultimate Digital Helmet Startup - Entrepreneur Sky | Entrepreneur Sky

Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM

I dunno, I didn't do a lot of research but the price is probably going to be a big deal.

The rearview camera is probably not something I'd want to use most of the time anyway and everything else will be able to be done (and probably done better) with other wearable tech (Google Glass, Galaxy Glass, etc) and will probably be cheaper.

The issue with this is that whatever the tech will cost will add to the cost of a helmet and if the helmet is a good one you're already spending $400 on the helmet and $300 on the tech and it gets expensive quick...especially if you crash and have to replace it.

Also, they're a brand new company, I try to avoid buying stuff like this from new companies because more often than not they fizzle out and vanish and then you're stuck with a weird product with no support.

I'll pass for now.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 AM

considering the price its going to be, i think i would much rather have a agv corsa.
not only is the corsa made from the head out, it also has a higher back which on my shoei, hits my jacket/leathers. soon enough they will have universal OLED visor displays i bet

Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a chance - because a helmet is there to protect my head from the pavement and the elements, not house my GPS, music, phone, bluetooth, etc. I already have to have mirrors, and I can still shoulder-check.

I like "the ride".

Besides, riding gives me an excuse to ignore my phone.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

I think I might like that, depending on the price. I'm like most folks, I like to be able to disconnect from everything but it would be nice to have you choose to turn on the features.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a helmet with Bluetooth built in. Funny, if I connect my phone I can text listen to music, GPS, and phone calls all without touching a thing. Now, ask me how many times I use it. Um, slim to none. I love hearing the wind and engine and plus I am on super hyper awareness mode and don't like the distractions. I got the Bluetooth thinkjng it's a great idea, now, I kinda loathe it.