General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats better? a trickle charger or float charger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats better? a trickle charger or float charger?

my old battery charger was ran over by my wife accidentally, yikes!!
so no in the market for another charger.

wats the difference between a trickle charger vs. float charger? which is better for charging a dead battery and maintaining charge?

i heard float charger is better for maintenance, and trickle better for charging a dead battery. is that true? or can one of them do both effectively??

thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Default RE: whats better? a trickle charger or float charger?

can't tell you the diff. like you ask,but i can tell you that the battery tender jr. works very well for charging and maintaining and can be bought off ebay for around 25 bucks

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM

i got a "battery maintainer" from wal-mart for like $20. Works well so far. Its a float charger that comes on only when the battery gets too low. Cant beat wally world lol

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Yup...I got the same one so does my brother and two of my friends, I put the mounted the quick disconnect under my rear seat so when ever I pull my bike in for a while i just always plug the charger into it.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 PM

thanks!! i'm gonna go to walmart and check..

Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM

btw, where do i get the quick disconnect thingy...?? how much?
i'm tired of removing my seat to charge.
manufacturer so make it standard to be able to charge without removing seats.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, where do i get the quick disconnect thingy...?? how much? i'm tired of removing my seat to charge. manufacturer so make it standard to be able to charge without removing seats.
If you get the 1.5 ampBattery Maintainer by Schumacker (Walmart) it comes with it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Yup comes with it...

You can see the quick disconnect poking out near the front of the rear truck...i have it held in place with this self-adhesive hold downs i found in the electrical section of wal-mart's automotive area. I also put a small slit in the positive battery terminal cover. Makes the fit and finish nicer. I attached the ground (black wire) one of the bolts holding the tail on...you can see the ground wire, leaving the positive red wire near the battery. Here is a tip...when wiring stuff up, if you have two or more wires running to the same place, cut the wires long. clamp one end of the wires to a bench or whatever, and the other end put in the drill...pull the wires tight and turn on the drill. it will twist the wires into a nice little harness and keep everything organized....

and yes, those are my HID ballasts...don't ask...orginal owner put them there...wired up with 22awg wire...I replaced that wire with 12 and 14 gauge...you can see the high beams wiring in this photo....

Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM

HOW TO TWIST WIRES......

STEP1) Gather tools and wire....

STEP2) CLAMP WIRE TO SOLID OBJECT, EVEN OUT WIRE LENGHT, INSERT WIRE INTO DRILL CHUCK.

STEP3) TWIST WIRE WITH DRILL

STEP4) UNCLAMP. NOW YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO CREATE NEAT AFTERMARKET WIRING INSTALLS.

I would also high reccomend people stop just twisting wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape. [:'(]I hate that.For good connections, I solder, then put liquid electrical tape on that, then two layers of heat shrink. I do the same when I put a terminal on the end of a wire...be it for a ground or for quick disconnect.

I also color match my wire.....make sure you always get STRANDED wire...solid wire is not good for automotive applications...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-Rolls-/1.html

I also order my heat shrink from here...you can get it in 4 foot sections for $2 or $3

Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM

good posting TBFghost.

I have a float charger from harbor freight. Will probably end up modifying it to be used as a plug in type, with a plug under the passenger seat. but for now since its cold out and i cant ride i take the battery out and put it in my house.

Quick Reply: whats better? a trickle charger or float charger?