General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when you overfill oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when you overfill oil?

So like a noob i checked my oil while the bike was leaning on the kickstand... and thought i was low on oil so i went to the store bought a quart and filled it till it reached the top of the line (while it was still leaning on kickstand
). then i rode about 7 or 8 miles to my house...

then i figured out the real way to check my oil (when bike is level) and it was WAY over the line.... could i have caused any permanant damage to the bike?

what happens to bikes that run with too much oil?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will create excessive oil pressure and can damage seals, gaskets, rings, etc. If you just rode it normally for 7-8 miles and weren't redlining the engine I think it will be okay as long as you drain the excess ASAP.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 PM

well i was testing my bike after i fixed it so i kind of pushed it a little hard when i was accellerating but for most of the way home i rode normal... my oil light didnt come on or anything like that... i do feel like my bike has lost a bit of power but other than that it is riding fine.

right now i also have some chem tool gas additive in there to help clean my carbs though so i figured the loss of power was from the mixture.. is this reasonble?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM

right now i also have some chem tool gas additive in there to help clean my carbs though so i figured the loss of power was from the mixture.. is this reasonble?
that should not have a noticable effect on anything. I'd assume your loss of power was due to your crank having to spin through the extra oil. the crank sits above the oil level, so when it has to pass through it, its going to rob hp.

As for damage. Your probably ok. Most of the time, the oil will purge through your crank vent and into your airbox. Im suprised you didnt notice oil burning through your exhaust.

but as said, drain the excess right away.

Last edited by justasquid; 05-10-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
that should not have a noticable effect on anything. I'd assume your loss of power was due to your crank having to spin through the extra oil. the crank sits above the oil level, so when it has to pass through it, its going to rob hp.

As for damage. Your probably ok. Most of the time, the oil will purge through your crank vent and into your airbox. Im suprised you didnt notice oil burning through your exhaust.

but as said, drain the excess right away.
the thing is though, my bike feels like its lost power after ive drained the oil so it has the rright amount, and after ive sprayed carb cleaner into the carb throats, and added it to the gas. ive also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket which is supposed to make it more powerful.

the only thing i can think it is from is when i was on my way home with too much oil in.... my bike is running fine, just not as powerful at around 6k rpms i dunno what to do... maybe im just making this up and not giving it enough throttle idk.

i think i just needa sack up pull the carbs out and give em a real real good cleaning instead of this gas additive throat spray stuff... i dont see how they couldve just gunked up all of a sudden like that though

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did you add to your gas?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM

i added 4.5 ounzes i measured it in a measuring cup, on the bottle it says for vehicles that hold less than 21 gallons put in 1 oz for each gallon

97 f3 supposedly holds 4.5 gals, so i filled my tank and put in 4.5 oz

Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM

what kind of oil did you use when you changed it? if u used wrong kind you might be having clutch issues instead of lack of power issues

Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Its really hard to say whats going on. Its possilbe that running the cleaner through loosened up some gunk and its now clogging one your of carbs, so you lack some power. the gas additive really shouldn't matter since you added the right amount.

willduce also brought up a good point on oil. However, even if you used the proper type of oil, but its a heavier vescosity, like 20-50, you may notice a drop in power, at least until the bike fully warms up. Once its warmed up, it should feel the same. I would reccomend staying with the proper weight oil though, unless your dealing with high heat situations, its best to keep the film thickness the same, since the engine's specs are designed around it.

Having said that, 1 tooth drop in the front is a pretty good drop in final gear ratio, and it should bring you into the power sooner, so your bike should definately feel like it has more power, not less. So Im not sure why it feels like its less.

Did you count the teeth on your sprockets before you swapped them and make sure you went lower? I've had friends that have bought different sprockets thinking they were going to increase the power, change them out and nothing. Only to find out, after looking at their old ones, they weren't stock and they basically put on the same ones not knowing it.

Having said all that. I still don't think you damaged anything. You don't have any smoking or leaking issues. If something was damaged, I think it would be pretty obvious.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 AM

pretty sure you are fine but remove the oil asap. too much oil means more pressure and that could cause engine damage. not as serious as having barely any oil but still drain that sucker.