General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure?

Hey could anyone tell me what the PSI should be of my tires? Its a 2000 f4 Dunlop qualifiers front and rear.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

36 front / 42 rear. But look on the sidewall, it'll tell ya. Also, make sure they're cold.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
36 front / 42 rear. But look on the sidewall, it'll tell ya. Also, make sure they're cold.
Good lord, I would run pressures that high for anything. That's extremely high.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by phillycbr
Hey could anyone tell me what the PSI should be of my tires? Its a 2000 f4 Dunlop qualifiers front and rear.

Thanks.
Hey Philly,

After reading a lot of posts last week about the same thing, seems like there is a lot of personal preferance involved. Im just running 35/35 right now. Some of the guys might be able to help you a bit more if you let them know what type of riding you plan on doing, everyday driving etc?

Blake

Old 10-17-2009, 03:05 PM

I'm aware of how different tire pressures are utilized to regulate temperatures on the track. But what purpose would running lower pressures serve on the street? Is it to gain a bigger contact patch, for shock absorbtion, or both?
It's been my understading that in order to obtain the most use out of a tire, pressure should be maintained at maximum.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM

I'm aware of how different tire pressures are utilized to regulate temperatures on the track. But what purpose would running lower pressures serve on the street? Is it to gain a bigger contact patch, for shock absorbtion, or both?
It's been my understading that in order to obtain the most use out of a tire, pressure should be maintained at maximum.

I run my pressure much lower than that of the maximum load pressure. It gives you more grip as the contact patch will increase, and also form to the roads surface a little better. The lower pressure will also allow the tire to have more evenly distributed heat, which for street driving, is what I want.

I don't think it would matter what pressure you run if your not overly aggressive, but I truly believe it makes a difference when you start getting aggressive in the corners. My bike feels much more planted with air pressure lower than max. My last pressure I ran was around 32 front, 34 rear. My bike is very happy at those pressures.

I think running the tire at max load will give the most mpg out of your bike because of less rolling resistance, but not the most grip or even the most mileage out of the tire. With pressure too high, (as in max load), the tires contact patch is small, creating heat concetrated in the center of the tire. The tire heats mainly in the center, and can actually wear out faster where lower pressure will spread the heat out over a wider range of the tire. Of course, there is a ballance, you can go too far in either direction.

having said that, I dont think the max load is wrong, They have to cover their butts. If you load up your bike to the max load, run lower air pressure in the tires and have a tire failure, the manufacturer is to blame, so they have to cover themselves, and for the majority of riders out there, max pressure is fine. If you start riding the edge of grip, its your fault if you crash, not the manufacturers. If the world wasn't so sue happy, we could probably get realistic pressures for weight ranges.

anyway, thats my thoughts on it.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:59 AM

That makes perfect sense; thanks for clarifying that for me. Guess I'll start experimenting with lower PSI Name:  thumb.gif
Views: 324
Size:  177 Bytes

Old 10-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Running 34/34. The tire pressure will rise as it gets warmer but not a huge amount prob about 36 or 37. Check the side wall though or contact dunlop to be fully sure

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been running mine at 36/42 as well man .......like them hard.......different strokes
for different folks ...........I find the harder the tire the more agile & responsive
my bike is. Just a personal perspective.