General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding over the MAX load capacity - How bad is it really?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding over the MAX load capacity - How bad is it really?

The max weight capacity of my 600rr is around 370lbs. How bad would 2-up riding totaling around 400lbs be for the the bike? It won't be a daily routine, probably just a few times. I plan on keeping the bike for another few years and don't want any possibly long term problems due to the extra weight. Aside from this impacting the suspension, can anything else be hurt like the engine or drive train?

And how does Honda come up with such a specific number for the MAX load of the bike?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM

There are a lot of variables that go into the max load capacities, sort of worst case scenerios that have to be considered. Those loads on a normal drive would never be an issue, but Honda has to put those load restrictions in place in case you encountered one of those worst case scenerios while riding at max load. The bike still has to perform.

Things like handling, braking, structural integrity, tire load restrictions... and the fact that asians are very small and 370lbs is a ton of weight . all go into account as to how they come up with the load, as well as a lot of data not mentioned.

Basically, they just want to limit their liability in any way possible. Putting a low load restriction on prevents people from getting into accidents from a bike that is overloaded and can't maneuvor properly. I'm pretty sure thats where the load capacity comes into play more so than the actual harm to the bike. But thats just a guess.

whether or not your weight will be a problem, I couldnt say for certain. But I really can't see it being a big deal. It certainly wont hurt the engine or drivetrain. the tail section would be my main concern. I know they are plenty strong, they just look weak.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As said above, the biggest concern is going to be handling performance.
The bike will take longer to stop and depending on how the load is distributed will affect steering. The suspension will get harsh and possibly 'bottom-out', affecting your tires grip on the road.

These all, taken to the extreme, are BAD things.

That said, a few pounds over the limit + awareness of the potential consequences, probably isn't going to be a big deal. Test the load before you go on that long road trip.
If she is acting too 'squirrely', lighten it up.

On the lighter side of the issue...
I've noticed that, me and my wife on the bike together, cresting a hill with the throttle on, can hop the front wheel lightly. I'll let you tell her to lighten that load! lol

Ern

Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fairly certain the "370lb max" is actually nowhere near. It simply wouldn't be safe to advertise the actual max capacity. It's prolly overengineered to double that amount

Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 PM

thanks guys. It's actually not ME who will be 2-up riding the thing. I let my older brother (who doesn't have a bike anymore but who has close to a decade of riding experience) borrow it from time to time and he goes on rides with his wife. It's the least I could do... before I had my own bike he would let me take his bike whenever I wanted.

I guess I was looking at the swingarm sticker regarding tire info and it says that the Max Load for the tires should be 366lbs at 42psi in the rear. I took that to mean the load for the whole bike shouldn't exceed 366lbs.

This is my 4th CBR and I just picked it up last month with 5k miles. Maybe I'm just being paranoid since this one is a keeper and I don't want the 400lb load to potentially have adverse effects on longterm engine longevity.

So you guys are saying that number is just a way for Honda to limit it's liability and rather the bike itself is capable of lugging around 400lbs?

I guess what really got me curious was the issue with cars with automatic transmissions. Towing a heavy load over time eventually leads to transmission failure. I just figured there be some case like that here.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Nah it will just be harder on your clutch, not transmission. You should be fine. Id be more worried about 400lbs directly on the back of the Sub frame... but lets say 250 rider with 150 passenger, that sounds fine to me as most of the weight is put into the center of the bike.

I just wouldn't do anything crazy... Handling will be very poor.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also depends on where & how the the load is distributed.
Name:  mechanics_suspension_fat_motorcycle.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  19.1 KB

Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Old 02-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Nah it will just be harder on your clutch, not transmission. You should be fine. Id be more worried about 400lbs directly on the back of the Sub frame... but lets say 250 rider with 150 passenger, that sounds fine to me as most of the weight is put into the center of the bike.

I just wouldn't do anything crazy... Handling will be very poor.
so I guess it's safe to conclude that the motor and transmission won't suffer as a result.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Personally, I see the 366lb figure as more tire related than anything else. Here:

Aside from possible wear and poor handling I wouldn't expect anything to get messed up on the bike. What I never understood was why Canadian models have a 375lb max load limit. What accounts for that 9lbs over the US figure?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding over the MAX load capacity - How bad is it really?