General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Fuel Pump troubles f4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Fuel Pump troubles f4

Howdy, I am having trouble installing my new fuel pump. I got the hoses hooked up no problem. But the electrical is where Im having issues.
The previous owner removed the female connector on the bike. He just connected the wires (from the pump to the bike) using electric tape and wire nuts. I figured Id do the same thing since new connectors are hard to find.

There are two wires coming from the pump. One is black, the other is black with a white line. Those two wire connect to two wires on the bike. One is green, the other is black and blue. I connected the green wire to the black wire, and the black and blue wire to the black wire with the white line.

when i tuned the key, a popping sound came from the wire connections. when i tried to start the bike, it popped more, and the bike did not start. I figured maybe I had the wires connected backwards, so I switched them around and tried to start the bike. It blew a fuse, no popping noise. I put in a new fuse and tried again. Blew that fuse too.

I dont know what Im doing wrong. Do i need to prime the new pump first or something? Is my wiring wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

It would help to know the year and model of the bike.