General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulator/Rectifier repair, anyone else tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator/Rectifier repair, anyone else tried this?

I have a 1991 F2 thatI did the electrical troubleshooting with from this forum. The tests showed my problem was the Reg/Rectifier. I started checking prices and my local dealer wanted $180. On line,I could find them for around $80.I figured since it was friedI would take it apart to see ifI could tell what was wrong with it.

Using a razor knife I cut around the outside rubber coating within the frame of the rectifier, then Iused a flat blade screw driver to dig out the rubber. WhatI found inside was a pretty simple looking row of bare wires going through the length of the rectifier. One of the soldered joints was obviously broken, soI simply soldered it back into place. I reinstalled the unit did a test and it worked perfect. Voltage is charging the battery at around 14 to 15 volts. It has worked great ever since and didnt cost me a dime. If anyone is interested I can post a couple pics of it.

Iwanted to pass this on as a possible alternative to replacing the unit. Has this been done anytime before?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Default RE: Regulator/Rectifier repair, anyone else tried this?

wow! i wish that you posted this a couple of months ago i had to replace mine.
i found a new one on e-bay for $30 works great, but had i known i would of
done what you did. nice idea, good job.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM

If you are cooking solder joints in the rectifier you need to check your battery. The regulators job is to maintain a steady voltage and the rectifier changes ac to dc. If you are drawing too much current through the regulator (too many accesories or weak battery) things burn up. Bad batteries are the problem...the symptom is the rectifier or regulator failing... whichever is weaker.I ran a starter and alternator shop with my father and have repaired more charging systems thanI care to remember.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 PM

I still had the problem after a new battery , who knows how the solder joint got disconnected , it looked more broken than burnt actually. I am not saying that is actually the case, but it still saved the money to buy a new one.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM

The problem being not charging? The typical scenario is just riding along minding your own business and the bike stalls or you stop and shut the bike off... when you attempt to restart the bike cranks slow or the headlight seems dim or it just wont turn over. Damned dead battery... Replace the battery,everything seems normal and the problem repeats. If only one diode on the rectifier failed it will charge slightly but will eventually run the new battery down(multiple starts, fan kicking in from running low speeds, accesories) and the problem will repeat. In the meantime the regulator is running wide open trying to charge the battery...voltage is down and the current is up and weak components continue to fail. Next thing you are not getting any charging and replace the regulator and rectifier. Test it yup it is charging so you leave it hooked up to a next to dead battery and away you go... Regulator burns up again. Damn it the engineer designed the charging system to keep a fully charged batterycharged... not a dead one. Always charge the battery fully.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM

i'd like to see some pics. i gotta see this...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM

Yeah, show some pics. What did you use to fill it back in?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My last one melted, so post up some pics of your repair, please.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 AM

I will post a pic later today. I made a cover out of styrene to fit over the rectifier. It doesnt melt with the heat and covers the wires from the elements.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by cwcbr91
I will post a pic later today. I made a cover out of styrene to fit over the rectifier. It doesnt melt with the heat and covers the wires from the elements.
can I possibly get those pics please

Quick Reply: Regulator/Rectifier repair, anyone else tried this?