General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak by water pump

Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i crashed my bike last night probably going 30 or 40 miles an hour and the bike lowsided and the water pump got destroyed, the pipe from the radiator to the pump broke so fluid leaked all over the road, and now there is a terrible oil leak which leaked all of the oil over night. the oil appears to be coming from the water pump, which needs to be replaced anyways, but from what i have read it could be a lot of things such as an o ring or some interior rings. My question is, is it possible for me to replace my water pump myself and or the internal rings if that is the problem and if not how much do you think it would cost a mechanic. the only reason i ask about the mechanic is because i cant ride it or drive it anywhere to get a quote so it would be very hard for me to get a proper estimate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
alright i figured out what was happening (sorry for the improper naming of parts here) but basically the thing which the water pump screws into broke so that the pump is loose on the under side cuasing the leak. would i be able to to replace that part myself. also the bike starts but then shuts off immediately would just fixing the water pump/oil leak be able to fix that, or do you think there is something else happening there

Last edited by IDoDirt; 05-22-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Double post - fix photo
Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I think until you pull the Water Pump, its going to be hard to tell if it's just an O ring or if you've cracked the crankcase housing.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I think until you pull the Water Pump, its going to be hard to tell if it's just an O ring or if you've cracked the crankcase housing.
ok i pulled the water pump and the o ring looks ok , but i dont see it cracked anywhere either.
well what it bolts into is cracked but it was still really tight when i took it off

Last edited by Freekman; 05-22-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:26 PM

also what size hex bolt is used on the water pump, because i need to relpace them

Old 05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well, before you start asking specific questions like what bolt is it, you might want to tell us what bike we're talking about here . Year, make, and model is a good start.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Default oops

Well, before you start asking specific questions like what bolt is it, you might want to tell us what bike we're talking about here . Year, make, and model is a good start.
wow im an idiot i thought i mentioned it. it is a 1992 cbr 600 f2

Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Look at online parts manuals for the correct bolt sizes.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1992>CBR600F2>WATER PUMP

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Look at online parts manuals for the correct bolt sizes.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1992>CBR600F2>WATER PUMP
thanks for the link. i am going to replace the water pump as i said, but i was just wondering if the bike wil start at al without a radiator. im not planing on riding like this i just want to know if i should be able to get a running bike instead of it running for a second and turning off as it is now

Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing would keep the bike from starting without a radiator as long as the motor is fine. You could drain the coolant and it should run until it overheats and blows up.

But the waterpump is driven by a shaft, that shaft mates with a shaft coming off the oilpump. The oilpump is driven by a chain that comes off the clutch shaft.

If you've damaged the shaft the waterpump runs off of, or in turn the waterpump impeller isn't turning freely, it could be causing binding that is causing the motor to stall. You also could have damaged the oilpump. Until you have it out and everything inspected, I'd quit trying to run the motor.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Nothing would keep the bike from starting without a radiator as long as the motor is fine. You could drain the coolant and it should run until it overheats and blows up.

But the waterpump is driven by a shaft, that shaft mates with a shaft coming off the oilpump. The oilpump is driven by a chain that comes off the clutch shaft.

If you've damaged the shaft the waterpump runs off of, or in turn the waterpump impeller isn't turning freely, it could be causing binding that is causing the motor to stall. You also could have damaged the oilpump. Until you have it out and everything inspected, I'd quit trying to run the motor.
alright so you saying i should check oil pump and clutch. i think it may be something there, because when i was starting my bike it would jerk foward slightly even when clutch was in unless i was in nuetral

unfortunately for me the bike was spray painted by previous owner i cant get the clutch cover to seperate from the block. do you guys have any tips other than tapping on it with a mallet

Last edited by Freekman; 05-23-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: more info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak by water pump