General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NC23 blew up - questions on repair

Old 01-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That all looks pretty much buggered Tim, as regards gasket set I got mine from Aliexpress China,

Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will give aliexpress a go. might have found the other stuff locally

Old 01-29-2017, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tigertim20r1
i will give aliexpress a go. might have found the other stuff locally
They also do sets of piston rings

Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 PM

looks like I have sourced a set of barrels, and a head in excellent condition, along with a piston to replace the damaged one.

I ordered the gaskets of aliexpress, though I dont know how long it will take for that to turn up.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

looks like I have sourced a set of barrels, and a head in excellent condition, along with a piston to replace the damaged one.

I ordered the gaskets of aliexpress, though I dont know how long it will take for that to turn up.
Mine took about a week China to UK ,which wasn't bad I think

Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 AM

thats not bad at all. Ive removed the sump and the clutch cover, as while the engine is out I figured id make sure i get all the swarf and debris out, and have a general tidy up of what's left.

some of the old gaskets are pretty stuck on, so I might try and douse them with kerosene or something to see if they soften a bit so theyre easier to remove later on before reassembly

Old 01-30-2017, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

thats not bad at all. Ive removed the sump and the clutch cover, as while the engine is out I figured id make sure i get all the swarf and debris out, and have a general tidy up of what's left.

some of the old gaskets are pretty stuck on, so I might try and douse them with kerosene or something to see if they soften a bit so theyre easier to remove later on before reassembly
Yes I pretty much do the same, but I've got one of those little gizmos that you put a razor bade in for scrapeing the old gasket out

Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 AM

well a new complete head, barrels and piston turned up today. Ive also ordered the gaskets, which are on the way, and four new sets of rings as well, since its a small expense and makes sense since the motor is in bits.

Guess now I will have to do clearances again since its a new head, hopefully this one is in better condition!!

I am going to strip the carbs completely again,a nd soak everything in carb cleaner too. mostly just to keep myself entertained until everything turns up.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

well a new complete head, barrels and piston turned up today. Ive also ordered the gaskets, which are on the way, and four new sets of rings as well, since its a small expense and makes sense since the motor is in bits.

Guess now I will have to do clearances again since its a new head, hopefully this one is in better condition!!

I am going to strip the carbs completely again,a nd soak everything in carb cleaner too. mostly just to keep myself entertained until everything turns up.
Yes got one engine stripped completely down myself, just left with the cases which I am going to blast with Bi-carb of soda to clean them up, haven't tried it before so keen to see how it works, those pistons and rings are good value from Aliexpress , always a leap of faith to get them

Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 AM

progress slowly being made.

gaskets arrived, as did rings.

i bought a compressor as ive been wanting one for ages. I stripped the new head, and cleaned it up. I have lapped the valves, and fitted the replacement piston.

Ive used gasket stripper to remove remains of old gaskets from all mating surfaces, and degreased and cleaned up the sump and clutch side covers.

Sump has been refitted with a new gasket.

Ive been in touch with one of the former owners, who said he has a gasket kit for it as well, which he is apparently sending me. I mgiht wait till those turn up, and see if they look any better than the chinese gaskets I had arrive the other day, before deciding which ones to use. Either way I suppose I will have an extra set on hand in case it all goes bang again!

will hopefully get some more done this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NC23 blew up - questions on repair