General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIL light and 34 blinks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL light and 34 blinks

Hi Fellows,

New to the forum.
CBR 929RR 2001
Japanese import to Thailand
Aftermarket Blue lightning racing exhaust
K&N filter
Racing chain set and sprockets

I bought my CBR recently. The previous owner told me the MIL came on occasional then cleared. He said it made no difference to the running of the bike. My experience is, it does when the light clears the bike violently bucks once.

I put a clip on the service connector and it had 34 and 35 blinks.

The servo motor and exhaust valves have been removed probably when the new exhaust was fitted. There's what looks like a home made 'Servo buddy' on the end of the servo motor plug. No manufacturer markings. A big square black rubber plug.

With this fitted the MIL is intermittent just coming on at a higher RPM. Then goes off when the bike restarted.

I made the servo delete mod (470uF Cap. 220 Ohm and 6.6K Ohm resistor) mod today and when I connected it the MIL is constantly lit when running and 34 blinks when ignition on.

Looking at the diagram I have and not having the servo motor I'm trying to figure this out. Am I close?

Blue wire = ECM output to drive motor
Red wire = ECM output to drive motor

0 - 5K Ohm potentiometer
Lg/P wire = signal output to ECM
G/O wire = Ground (common to other sensors)
Y/R wire = Vref from ECM to servo motor potentiometer (confused as the wiring diadram I'm looking at this wire is commonned to MAP and TPS)

Does the pulley on the servo motor also rotate the potentiometer and change the output signal of the potentiometer going to the ECM?

So, the servo delete I found on forums didn't work. The unknown one on it works until a higher RPM.

I tried resetting the ECM pretty sure I managed it on the second attempt.

Gentlemen. Any fixes for this MIL. Advice? Much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Hi CaBaRet,

thanks for the reply. Just to clarify I used a 270uF Cap. 220 Ohm and 4.7K Ohm resistor. Can't seem to edit my original post.

Read that thread and it appears that the mod works for some and others it doesn't!

The supply to the motor (red wire is +12V) right?
Section 5-55 of the service manual tests the servo motor using a 12V battery. Why I'm sure the red wire must switch in +12V

On the home servo delete instructions it states 'the red wire used to control the servo is +5V down to ground! If the ECM switches +12V in to drive the servo then this is incorrect and the charging supply to the 470uF cap (red wire) would be 12V not 5V!

Should there not be another resistor connected in series with the 4.7K to ensure +5V on the Light green/Pink output to the ECM?

I'll put the 'unknown servo delete' back on today but check supply voltages just to confirm if I'm right or wrong.

Can anybody help to confirm this.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Will this help.

also
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-Budd...607&rmvSB=true

Last edited by CaBaRet; 05-25-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 AM

Hi,
Thank you.

This servo delete mod cannot possibly work as the input to the ECM should be 0-5V from the Vout of the potentiometer.

The output from the delete mod feeding the ECM is 12V. This can damage the ECM as the sense input pin Max voltage will be +5V.

I put my unknown servo delete back on and the MIL is off. Back to what it was previously. Intermittent depending on RPM.

The only way to make the mod work is to put another resistor in series that will act as a voltage splitter and using the right values can tap +5V off it.

But not that simple as the Cap discharge (voltage reducing on the Light green/Pink wire) would probably need to mimic the time vs voltage pattern of the changing potentiometer to properly fool the ECM.

I'll look at getting a servo buddy but I doubt they are available out here in Thailand. Why I had a go at the delete mod. But seriously +12V to the ECM from this mod can damage it.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hi checked out that Buddy , and its available to post world wide, also make your own "Buddy"
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/how...-fi-light.html

Last edited by CaBaRet; 12-05-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi checked out that Buddy , and its available to post world wide, also make your own "Buddy"
How to: delete HTEV servo with no FI light - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Hi CaBaret,

yes, I've read that one and tried it. It will damage the ECM.

Ordered a servo buddy from Ebay-UK and somebody is going to bring it over for me.
Shipping out here takes forever. Waiting three plus Months for a TPS from China for my other bike.