General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud ticking at idle need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud ticking at idle need help

im in desperate need of some help on this issue. I recently installed a factory pro shift kit in my 01 f4i. upon finishing I had a problem putting cover back on because clutch basket wasn't aligned all the way. after taking it on and off about 20 times I finally got it to work. now after I put fresh amsoil and filter in I have this loud ticking at idle. it gets quieter as the rpms increase (I think, pipe is very loud). only ran it for a few minutes after hearing noise. it is not cct or valve clearances I check those during winter. bike ran good without noise before doing this. could it be pick up tube clogged or maybe clutch got to dry while installing parts. if anyone else ran into this issue maybe not with installing exact parts but some other time help is greatly needed thank you in advance

Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see how it could get too dry. It can come off and on as described in the manual. Since you said it didnt do that before its pretty safe to say its related to the clutch somehow. Have you checked your shifter? That kind of tick when it changes gears? or more quiet/light of a tick, or is it closer to a knock? Unfortunately mate its prolly going to come back to the clutch again. I mean you said you tried 20 times to get it back on, I hope you didnt forcefully get it on, maybe got it on wrong? Maybe it wasnt fully seated? Check plate arrangement? Did you find out why it wasnt going on before? What did you do differently when you did get it to work?

Is the spring correclty installed? Perhaps its catching on something? Vibrating? Id say go back and recheck all the bolts in the Kit, and then check the clutch itself.

Sick kit though, looks like I would love it haha.

-Poss

Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I installed their shift star as well, but I haven't noticed any new noises. Sorry... Could you maybe Make a video. Also if you have some extra tubing or a mechanics stethoscope, stick one end to your ear and use the other to hunt around for the noise it might help you pinpoint where exactly its coming from.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:02 PM

The tick is kind of like a stock on a chain link fast bit fast. I went through to gears before I put clutch back on and worked good. I didn't have the drive shaft of the oil pump lined up with holes in back of clutch basket that's why cover wouldn't go on. I'm going to take it back apart tomorrow before starting it again to prevent any other damage if any at all. When I take the little cover off it got louder at idle and didn't change with clutch operation. Thanks for input. Disassembly tomorrow hope nothing got to damaged

Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

God luck! I had a hell of a time getting those gears lined up. If I think of something I will let you know.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Well took all back apart. Nothing grinding or hitting no metal to metal contact. Held screw driver to case and head all I here is a smooth humming from bearings. Maybe a little rattle from cct but not bad at all. I'm putting a factory pipe on to try and quiet exhaust so I can hear better. I have no idea what is making noise

Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Update: I put a stock pipe on and it I was able to hear where tha noise was coming from. It is coming from the clutch basket itself. The springs in the back of it are rattling around in the housing. Is it possible to rebuild or do I have to buy one