General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led turn signals

when you install led turn signals, is it necessary to install a relay, or can you go with out it?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Generally, if you're keeping one set of incandescent bulbs, it'll just do the quick flash. It's when you're replacing front and rear together that you absolutely need them.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led turn signals

I did the front and rear signals! what would happen if the relay wasn't changed? would it end up blowing a fuse, or the relay go bad quicker?

Old 01-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah wont blow the fuse, its just the signal. The new relay designates the differences because its a different lighting system (Incadescant vs. LED)

Typically if unchanged then all four will flash together, maybe all four will light and stay on. The problems that arise vary across the board but the end result is the same. They do not operate individually or simply do not operate correctly. An LED flasher relay will solve this issue. Swap out your current turn relay with an LED one and your problem will be fixed. They are plug and pllay. Just make sure you get one with the same 2 pin connector that is on your bike (Depends on the bike you have). Believe they come in 2 and 3 pin connectors. Custom LED makes them thats the one I went with. They are pretty cheap.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM

There won't be a load on it,and it'll probably not flash at all... You'll need the relay or you need to add resistors.

Get the relay though... Resistors will dim the overall brightness, create heat, and fail before a relay does...

Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Interesting to see this thread. I have got my front indicator shot at the mo and it is all taped up.I tried replacing the bulb initially but ended up bursting it inside the casing and now can't get the stem out Thinking of going for LED replacements. Do I need a 2 pin relay for my 2002 cbr600f fi UK model or a 3 pin one? Do you think the replacement can be done by only removing the black panel connecting the two fairings in the middle? I have had the fairings out a many times and each time one rubber screw setting has refused to be reused plus that one extra scratch on the fairing.Or the side panel must come out?
How decent are the eBay cheapies? I see some sellers quoting £10-15 for 2 pairs. Have heard some let water in within a week or so?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 PM

If it's a requirement in the UK to have a running light , you'll want the 3-pronged variety. Check your bike's wiring, does it have 3 wires or 2?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM

No running light law here so can be ridden without lights. You mean DRL right?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Yeah, it's on the same circuit. So, the third wire is hooked up to a light that is a touch more dim, runs constantly. Then your turn signal is a brighter flash.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM

I checked the circuit dia in my Haynes manual and think the 2002 uk models come with a 2 pin signal flasher as only 2 connection go into it in the dia whereas older models have 3.
So ordered 2 pin flasher,4 el cheapo led indicators for I think £7, wiring adaptors etc but still confused as to how the original wiring worked. Can someone have a look and tell me if this can be reused?
The original wiring went into just one connector , the blue one

Attached Thumbnails led turn signals-img_0248.jpg   led turn signals-img_0249.jpg  

Quick Reply: led turn signals