General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help to install the integrated taillight on 05 cbr 600 RR?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help to install the integrated taillight on 05 cbr 600 RR?

Hi guys,
I have '05 cbr 600rr. Can anyone walk me on how to install the integrated taillight?
On the aftermarket integrated taillight there are one plastic connector like the one from the stock taillight and 2 colored single cables, blue and yellow. My question is how and where to conect those blue and yellow wires?
On the bike's tail section there are one long white connector that goes to the aftermarket integrated taillight that will just clip on and 3 short connectors with the blue, white and orange plastic connector.
Any help?
Thanks!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Default RE: I need help to install the integrated taillight on 05 cbr 600 RR?

The white connector is for the license plate light, which I assume you've gotten rid of if you're installing an integrator. That or you've gotten an aftermarket light. The orange and blue connectors are your stock turn signals. How I did it, cut the connectors off of your stock turn signal lights, leaving about 4-5 inches from the connector. There should be two wires, one ground and one power. The ground wires will be the same color on both the right and left connectors. The other wire will be connected to either the yellow or blue wire from the integrated tail light. Strip the blue and yellow wires from the integrated tail light about 1/4" from the end. Do the same for the stock connectors. Attach one of the integrator wires temporarily (twist together) to the power wire from either of the stock connectors. Plug it into its color-coordinated matching connector on the stock harness along with the tail light connector. Turn the bike on and turn the turn signal left or right. Make sure to note which side of the integrator is flashing and mark the wire coming from the light either left or right, accordingly. The other wire will obviously be the opposite turn signal. Now you're ready to permanently wire the connector to the tail light wire. The kit prob. came with two resistors. These are to allow the signals to flash at the correct speed, instead of quickly like so many bikes out there do. These are obviously optional. If you don't care about hyper flashing, then just connect the yellow & blue wires to the power wire of the correct corresponding stock connectors that you discovered earlier. Forget about the grounds: the turn signals are internally grounded inside the taillight. I suggest soldering the wires together and sealing with heat shrink, but you can also use butt connectors. Using this method, you are still able to easily disconnect the tail section without having to cut wires. If you wish to keep the correct flashing speed, then you will need to wire the resistor in parallel with the turn signals. Attach one end of the resistor to the power wire (the kit prob. came with some wire taps, you can use these or a better way would be to solder it into the patch with the power wires. The other end of the resistor will have to be attached to ground, here is where the stock ground wire comes into play. Simply connect the resistor to the unused ground wire remaining from where you snipped the stock connector off of the stock turn signal. Now connect the turn signal connectors and ensure that the signals are working properly and tuck the excess wire out of sight. Good Luck!

Oh, I see that you have flush mounts in your future mods...as above, snip the stock connectors off your stock turn signals about 4-5 inches from the connector. If you are using LED flush mounts, there will be an extra wire (the wire that provided power to your lights whenever the key is on, this is the running light). To find which wire this is, use a test probe and connect to each wire with the key off. Turn the key on and whichever wire you are touching when the probe turns on, this is the running light wire. This wire will not be used with your flush mounts. Again, if you want to keep the slow blinking, you'll have to wire in another resistor in parallel with the power and ground wires. Most flush mount kits I've come across do not supply this resistor, so go to Radio Shack and buy one of the same resistance as the rear ones (it should be printed on the resistor). If you are using an element bulb-type flush mount, then just connect all three wires to your stock connector wires.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Why do I need to cut the connectors off of my stock turn signal lights about 4-5 inches from the connector? Can I just cut right where the plastic snap connect to the wire?
Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

paul

Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Retired Administrator

You want to reuse the connector so when you have to take the tail off, you don't have to cut the wires.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 AM

oh i c I didn't read the word carefully. but the thing is when I bough this bike, it didn't have the original turn signal. So I have no stock signal on the front and rear. I would love to use the connector does anyone where I can get the original connector for this application?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 AM

Ok I found this website where they sell the connector: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...tegory_Code=El
My question is which one for the rear integrated taillight connector that will connect to the original orange and blue connector on the bike? it looks like use the 2-pin connector instead of 3-pin. And if I do use this connector I only use one of each wire from the integrated taillight to be connected to the pin connector right?