General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't bleed brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't bleed brakes

So I was trying to flush out my old brake fuild for the rear brake (02 F4i) so I attached a hose from the caliper bleeder screw, opened the bleeder up a little, opened the reservoir, and pumped the pedal.

A small amount of fluid went into the hose and the reservoir went empty. I then poured new fluid in and tried the whole pump, hold, unscrew, watch for bubbles,screw method but now I have no pressure. No matter how much I pump I cannot get any pressure and thefluid level in the MC doesn't change.

I could get somefluid and bubbles to come out but after 3-4 times opening/closing the bleeder nothing would happen (no bubbles and no fluid). I tried unscrewing the banjo bolt on the MCand ended up pushing fluid up into the reservoir.

I realize letting the reservoir go empty was a bad idea so how bad have I screwed myself and what can I do to fix this.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Default RE: I can't bleed brakes

.....so your master won't pump fluid anymore...i have run MC dry before when not paying attention and all that ever ended up doing for me was just extended the bleeding time b/c I had to start over....

Old 03-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

just for future notice goto a cycel gear near you and pick up a quick brake bleeder pump for like $30 and it will save you alot of hassle http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...amp;tier2=3119

Old 03-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wot are you bleeding the fluid in to?. You have to keep the end of the tube immersed in clean brake fluid, stops air from going back up the tube as you release the pressure to pump again, if not, fluid just sits there. I use a very clean glass coffee jar. Remember, till its happily moving down the tube, its pump/hold/close the valve/release the brake, I've used this method like forever & never had any problems. One word of caution, don't overtighten the bleeder valve, its easy to put a lot of pressure on that little nut & blunt the tip of the valve.
Nearly forgot, you only have to open the valve a little until you feel the pressure at the peddle drop slightly.