General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issues

I have a 2005 CBR1000rr and it was in a wreck a while back and now its time to fix her back up, after the accident I dont hear the fuel pump engaging at any time and there is not fuel into the lines. yes the tank is full but my question is, is there anything to check before i spend a couple hundred bucks on a fuel pump? I have inspected the wiring and there is no spliced or damaged wires or connectors, what else should be checked?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Fuel pump issues

It be a pretty safe bet that your bank angle sensor is either not hooked up, or not functioning. when this fails, its shuts the fuel off to the bike as it thinks the bike is on its side.

it is located behind your upper fairing between your headlights. It attaches to your headlight on the inside. It will be located between the fairing stay bracket and the headlight.

here is a pic of what it looks like .

Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Well I have the sensor facing the way that it is displayed on the picture you supplied and I have also tried the other direction but neither one seems to be making any differences, I have also cycled through the ignition properly like the bikes manual says to do if tipped over. so I am thinking its fuel pump

Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I agree also, check into that. Check your kickstand switch, and this may sound dumb but is your battery good yet? I am assuming the bike has been sitting for a little while. If all of that checks out, use a power probe, or even just some wire, and test your fuel pump manually before you go and spend the money on a new one.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM

The battery holds a charge of a little over 12 volts and is not even a couple months old, I am not sure on how to check my kickstand switch besides just making sure the stand is up while im starting but I am going to go out and try just using a straight wire to the fuel pump just to check if it works at all.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Thank you TK954 you just saved me some waiting around time, I tried the method of wire straight to the pump and it works fine, so now its a matter of figuring out which sensor/switch is not allowing the pump to even prime.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 AM

This may be a dumb question as you have probably already checked, but did you check to make sure all of your fuses are good?

Also, Ima bit unclear. The bike does turn over correct?, it just doesnt start and you cant hear the fuel pump correct?

Is your gauge hooked up?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:55 AM

Ya I have inspected all the fuses and they are all perfectly fine. The bike turns over but it does not start, and yes the gauge is hooked up. The gauge displays the Oil light which is normal for this bike and then also the red indicator light is on with the FI (for the Fuel system) light comes on.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 AM

oh and I don't hear the fuel pump prime or engage at any time, when I had the fuel tank off the bike to check the pump it would not turn on while trying to start the bike but would work fine when I tested it giving it straight power from the battery.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM

It sure sounds like the bank angle sensor to me. thats the only sensor that I can think of that will stop the fuel pump from kicking on. Depending on how hard the hit was, it may have failed.

I guess my next step would be to make sure power is getting to the bas. Unplug it and measure across the leads and see if there is power to the sensor. Im pretty sure the power comes from that sensor, so if there isnt any to your pump, and power to the sensor, it must be bad.

Another thing to check. disconnect your main wire plug. Check to make sure all of the prongs are attached. Sometimes, they can be pushed back and the connection wont be made. ALso do this for your other sensor plugs.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issues