General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure

I cleaned the carbs on the cbr600f2, am cleaning out the gas tank (with acetone as you all suggested) and I'm going to install inline fuel filters.

I bought two inline fuel filters, one for the 92 cbr600f2 and one for the 95 cbr900rr, the fuel filter says it isn't for anything more than 10psi, what pressure is on these bikes with carbs? Will the filters work?

Also noticed that after I put stabil in the 900rr and shook it up/let it run for 10 minutes, it will not start now. I'm thinkin maybe it stirred some stuff up and clogged the jets? I wanna get her on the road so bad lol help me please. I'll probably clean the carbs soon (since I know how to do it now lol)

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm not real familiar with these newer bikes, but if there is no fuel pump then those filters will only see 1-2 psi at most. Even if they do have a fuel pump I wouldn't expect more than 10 psi to the carbs.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Yes, the filters will be fine. As cb750 said, they are not high pressure. Fuel injected bikes run high pressure, but not the carbed. My wifes old R6 was only 2 psi.

But, it really shouldn't matter anyway. You dont want to install the filter between the carbs and the fuel pump, you want the filter between the gas tank and the pump. The last thing you want is contanimants getting to your fuel pump and destroying it. You could do both, but I would run the filter before the pump.

as for your 900. putting in stabilzer doesnt clean the fuel at all. Im sure you didnt shake the bike any harder than what it sees going down the road so I dont think you shook anything loose that wouldnt have gotten loose before. I wouldnt think that has anything to do with it not starting now.

Had the bikes sat for some time?

How was your battery when you tried to start it? If it was even a little weak, these bikes can easily foul out as they need the engine to spin over fast in order to start.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM

Does the 900rr have a fuel pump? The 900rr has not sat much, I start it up and ride it regularly for at least 20 minutes. I put stabil in, let it run then it sat for two days (temps got down to -15 in those two days) I keep a battery tender on it so I believe the battery is good, bike didn't start. I ordered new ngk plugs to replace mine so hopefully that helps

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 AM

Your 900RR should have a fuel pump. Some people remove them if they fail and just rely of gravity to feed the carbs. The pumps only add a couple of psi, sort of a booster to get the gas into the carbs. Its not like a car where the fuel pump has pump the gas up into the engine, as the engine sits lower than the tank. The real problem is when your tank starts to get low. If you notice, your carbs are almost the same level as your petcock on the tank, so the gravity method doesnt always work out the best. But, your bike should have a pump.

how cold was it when you tried to start it? If it was really cold out, then I bet you fouled the plugs. These bikes are a bear to start when its really cold. If your battery is more than a few years old, even if its freshly charged, will not perform well in really cold temps. You can get away with a weaker battery when everything is warm, but once it gets cold, the battery will really show its age.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM

So where would the fuel pump be? What does it look like? It was probably 15 degrees out when I tried to start it. I ordered new plugs and its lookin like I better order a new battery too. The bike just back fires and acts like it wants to start but doesn't

Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Its to the left under the seat. Cant miss it after taking the tank off as there is not much under there. Just follow the fuel line from the petcock through the inline filter, and there it is.

I just rebuilt the carbs in my 95 RR because I let it sit for a year without properly prepareing the bike for storage. Pilot jets were completely plugged. I also had to clean varnish and rust out of the tank. In the process of getting it running again I burned out my ignition control unit by jumpstarting the bike with my car (DONT EVER DO THAT). Somehow through all of this my fuel pump stopped working also. Today I bypassed the pump and replaced the ignition unit and it and it started right up.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:39 PM

Yeah I found out that mine doesn't have one at all lol, still rums great tho