General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light problem, new bike owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light problem, new bike owner

Sup everyone. Just picked up a "new to me" 2003 CBR600RR. The guy that had it before me built it at a stunting bike but didn't actually end up using it as he wasn't as into it as he thought he would be, plus he was a soldier and was never home to ride it. Some of the street stuff was removed on it and I'm trying to get it back to street legal. This is my first street bike but I've ridden dirt all my life and I'm trying to get it back to street legal. One of the things that was taken off was the brake light. The little connector for the brake light was cut off so I did cut the connecter off the brake light so I could hook it up to make sure it was still in working order. The brake light comes on, but it stays lit like someone is pushing the brake all the time. What would cause this? The rear brake wire isnt connected to anything. Also with the CBR does both the front and back brakes light up the light? This had a hand rear brake also, would that set it off?

Here's some pics to help
Here is the rear tire hand brake

rear brake pedal (not connected). Anyone know where I could get the wired that connects the back brake? Does the wire thats missing run to the back of the bike or front?

Brake Wired up (temporary wiring)

Thanks for any help folks. I know this seems super scattered but ill do my best to give as many details/pics as needed to try to get it going.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both front & rear have an activation switch. rear is adjustable (for when you adjust the brake pedal up or down) & front is not. Not 100% sure, but the reason the brakes light is on could be that their disconnected or the rear brake switch is adjusted to far so its on. Its located above & behind the rear brake pedal.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Both front & rear have an activation switch. rear is adjustable (for when you adjust the brake pedal up or down) & front is not. Not 100% sure, but the reason the brakes light is on could be that their disconnected or the rear brake switch is adjusted to far so its on. Its located above & behind the rear brake pedal.
Ok.. Good to know. Looking at it I think the front brake is still plugged in and yet the brake light still stay lit as if its being pressed. even if I unplug the 2 black wires from the front brake it remains lit (think this is where the front censor would be). Where would be a good place to get that wire that's missing that connects the back brake?
The one that plugs into this

Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 PM

This one rather

Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 PM

or if i leave that unplugged and just use the front brake, would that work? or will it stay lit up as long as the rear brake is not connected?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

It shouldn't stay lit if the back brake switch is disconnected. These switches complete a circuit, so if the switch is missing the circuit will not work. So, if the brake light remains on and the rear brake switch is not connected, the problem is probably in the front brake switch....it is sticking on.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Ok. What all on the front brake do I need to check to try to get this working?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 PM

I took the front brake lever off and played with the little switch that i believe activates the brake light and it still stays constant. Any suggestions?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

If the rear brake switch isn't connected, then I have no idea why the light is still on.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Maybe a stupid suggestion but are the wires at the light crossed? Meaning maybe you have the tail light (on constantly) wired to the brake light which is brighter.

Quick Reply: Brake Light problem, new bike owner