General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid change...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake fluid change...

So, last weekend I changed the brake fluid on my CBR600F3 as it had been about three years ... brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air over time limiting it's effectiveness and giving spongy brakes ... the manuals generally recommend changing the fluid every couple of years and I have often found it is one of those things that people go for years without changing, often because they just don't think to do it or the brakes are still working well, but it does need changing to keep the braking sytem healthy and corrosion also at bay.

As I was doing it I got to thinking, my "new" 600RR that I only bought last year needs it too ... why?? ... well, I bought it in April 2009 but it was a 2008 model and I know I had seen this particular bike and another the same as it hanging around the dealers most of the previous year, so it is now actually at least two years old if not more ... and I think the fluid in my master cylinder reservoir does look slightly yellow, so this weekend I shall change it all out, both front and rear as I still have over half a bottle of new fluid left that would otherwise go to waste ... once you have opened a bottle of fluid you really need to use it all up as it does not keep.

"Most major vehicle manufacturers recommend that drivers should change their brake fluid at least every two years. This is because brake fluid is a hygroscopic fluid - meaning that it absorbs water over time reducing its effectiveness.

If the fluid is not changed before the water content reaches the 3% mark, the water brings down the normal boiling point of the brake fluid and air bubbles are created as a result. Once this happens, the brakes become ineffective and dangerous.

If that wasn't bad enough, a motorist probably won't even be aware that this has taken place because the braking system will appear completely normal until the brake fluid reaches the reduced boiling point - which usually occurs after braking heavily.

What happens next is this: the brakes take on a sponge-like feeling and don't work - so the car fails to stop. If the driver happens to be on a hill or driving along a motorway when this happens, the consequences don't even bear thinking about."

So, if you haven't changed your fluid in a while, then now before the season starts proper is maybe a good time to do it ... think to when it was last changed, it may surprise you how long it's been there, it's not just about brake efficiency but corrosion resistence as well.

It is a simple and easy job to do, costs no more than the bottle of fluid and makes you feel better :-)

Jules

Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good reminder Jules.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The procedures for two different bikes the 600F3 and the 600RR are documented here...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-91/brake-bleeding-fluid-change-600f2-f3-models-110088/

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/brake-bleeding-fluid-change-600rr-models-110092/

These show the slight differences between different bikes but they should cover the majority

Jules

Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and yet another good reason I like living in an arid region.