General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boys, my plugs keep fouling. Completly black and wet possibly oil.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boys, my plugs keep fouling. Completly black and wet possibly oil.

Alright guys, i need ya lol. Been through 3 sets of plugs in a month of daily riding. It is kinda could here somedays like 32 degress but that dont stop me from nothin i love to ride. My bikes got about 30k on it. Its a 94 cbr 600. Anyway i bought my bike wrecked a long time ago for 500 bucks. Put 300 into it and now shes sweet. Except that now her plugs keep fouling. And they are pretty wet with what looks like oil or maybe just a lot of gas. When new ones are put in she runs amazing for a little bit. Then it starts with her sounding like a helicopter. Then the RPMs begin to hang as she comes down to idle. Then one day (ive been through this 3 times) she will backfire and not start ever again unless new plugs ars put in. Ive done a full carb cleaning and the floats are good. New fuel filter. Ahhhh yea so just lemme know what you guys think. Please and thank you. REALLY hoping its not my rings cause im a broke college kid rn. But shes got PLENTY of power with new plugs. And im not sure how she would be running rich.

ALSO NOTE. About a month ago when i checked the valves for leaks. No leaks. I did a compression check after putting it together. I had about 110 compression in all 4

Last edited by Miguelc561; 02-06-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:17 PM

hows your fuel mileage? do you know what size jets are in the carbs? what plugs are you running? have you checked your coils?
also, 110 on compression is low. how did you test it? did you have all the plugs pulled and did you open the throttle while testing it?
can you post a picture of a couple fouled plugs?

Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 PM

I dont have an an answer to fuel mileage. Stock jets. Stock everything. Tested compression right when i put it back together. All plugs out with a compression tester and the appropriate fitting. I tested it simply with the starter turning the motor. At the time thats the only way it turned but now its together lol. As for picture ill get you one tomorrow. Lots of homework right now

Old 02-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any oil on your air box? Do you have a pic of one of your fouled plugs?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:18 PM

Ok so me and all my buddies have came to the conclusion that its just running REALLY REALLY rich. I think the carbs need synced. I did have to mess with them to put those little springs back in when doing the carb.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM

did you mess with the pilot screws at all?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:22 AM

No, the whole carb is stock. I just synced them. Runs a little. Better but im still running rich cause there is gasoline in my exhaust. Could it be something as dumb as my air filter. Ive never heard of a diirty air filter making your stuff run THAT rich to where its fouling plugs. Anyway im going to clean it anywa yo find out

Old 02-08-2017, 01:44 AM

get a manual, remove the carbs.

strip the carbs and CLEAN everything.

check that everything is set to stock settings. pilot screws etc.

110 sounds very low for compression. If you are reasonably mechanically minded, then doing the rings is not a total nightmare, follow the manual and you will be fine. Take photos as you go, as this helps with reassembly if you are just learning.

rings on ebay and a set of gaskets wouldnt cost too much. Youd only need to pay someone a small amount to re-hone the bores, and lap the valves.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Ok cleaned carbs 100 percent, completly dissembled and put back together with new o rings and i tiiiiny bit of gasket sealer on float bowls. And let it fully cure 24 hours. Cleaned the air filter. Accidently broke the vacuum port to read vacuum so i ordered 4 more. Only 20 bucks. The bike runs the same. Except id doesnt run as rich i would say. Smells less like gas and i dont see any coming out the exhaust where it bolts onto slip on. The idle is unsteady it goes up and down with new spark plugs. The carbs are not 100 percent synced but they are damn close. They will be when these ports arrive. Plugs say im on the rich side. And my RPMs are hanging before coming to an idle. All hoses are connected good. I have a clymers and have follwed it every step of the way

Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 PM

My compression was read at 110 when i put the motor back together and used the starter. I did not even have the carbs on so i think thats why it was low. Itsnt it suppose to be measure at WOT

Quick Reply: Boys, my plugs keep fouling. Completly black and wet possibly oil.