General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bikewash..water or no water?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bikewash..water or no water?

hi, i had this bike wash question, here in UAE, we usually go to gas stations for bike wash,
where they usually do the car wash too. so is it ok to take the bike to the same place coz they
will wash it with soap water. and then dry and clean it too. makes the bike look really clean!
my question is that whether is it good? i remember someone tellign me that it should be washed
with some chemical..diesel or something? coz over here they dont have that option of deisel
wash. just the water wash. is it ok?
pls advise.
thanks.
ameer

Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Default RE: bikewash..water or no water?

i dont see why it would be a problem, just make sure the bike is somewhat cold or let it sit for a while before having it washed. a cracked block or warped rotor would kinda suck. a little on the extreme side but who knows.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 AM

I wash and dry my bikes all the time with water and that liguid car wash/wax you put in it. I have for probably 30yrs. I agree a cool bike is better than a hot bike. Common sense about blasting water everywhere though is in order. You don't need water in wheel bearings, or in the muffler, etc. But a good washing is good for the bike. I know many companies now sell a spray that you can put on a dry bike, but IMHO, I want to float the dirt and dust off and I really don't think that does it. It just turns the dust into a rubbing compound that I don't want to use.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Retired Moderator

Honda (and many others) make an all purpose polisher/spray, but I also prefer to wash my bike the old fashion way. I am just careful around the air intakes, and the display cluster, etc. In fact, I need to do that today because I have a good collection of bugs from last night.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 PM

I wash my bike all the time with water and Turtle Zip Wax cleaner. First I use a hose and wet the entire bike with a nice light mist. Then I scrub the bike down and then hose off, again with a light spray, and towel dry. No problems getting it on the indicator or anywhere else thus far. Just make sure your wash doesn't have any high powered sprays that could potentially get into places like Dave K said and you'll be fine.

As for the 'diesel wash', WTF is that all about!? I hope they weren't talking about washing a bike with fuel/oil.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM

I do both but mainly i wash my bike with water. I have some of the spray on cleaner but i find that is only good for a very small area that really isnt that dirty to begin with. Using the dry cleaner usually ends up in very fine scratches in the plastic. Maybe I am using the wrong rag. I prefer to wash with good ole soap and water. But not dish soap because that strips the wax off. Use a zip wax like the others were saying.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:25 PM

I have done both also, But when its dirty (bugs on the front) then it just need a good scrubbing. I dont drinch the bike with water just get it wet give her a good scrubbin and then rinse off. the I dry her off and take her for a spin while shes still clean

The spray is fine if there arent really any bug guts but I still prefer to wash her with water. Only takes about 5 minutes to wash and dry.....so its not really time comsuming.....just dont hold the hose down in the muffler and youll be fine

and WTH is a diesel wash???

Old 10-10-2006, 11:12 PM

I use water on mine also. Try this next time you wash your bike. Spray some furniture polish, like Pledge or something, on a rag and wipe it on the headlights, windscreen, upper cowl area. It gives it a really slick finish. Makes it alot easier to gets bugs and stuff like that off. Works on your helmet also.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Retired Administrator

WTF... a diesel wash? Am I the only one to never hear of that? Soap and water work great, especially for you living in a nice hot desert area. How are things in the good ole UAE? I've spent some time in Dubai and Bahrain. I couldn’t imagine riding in 100 f + temperatures all the time.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: c.love220

Try this next time you wash your bike. Spray some furniture polish, like Pledge or something, on a rag and wipe it on the headlights, windscreen, upper cowl area. It gives it a really slick finish. Makes it alot easier to gets bugs and stuff like that off. Works on your helmet also.

Also leaves the bike with a clean fresh smell

Quick Reply: bikewash..water or no water?