General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 cbr600 start/run problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

How long have you had the bike ? What is the history on the bike ? There are two areas that come to mind. Fuel supply and R/R. Since you don't mention any problem with getting the bike to turn over it doesn't seem like a charging problem. The fuel pump can be flaky, working one minute and not another. You can bypass with a fuel line straight from the tank to the carbs for testing, or disconnect the Fuel Cut relay connector and short the 2 pins that are used for doing the Fuel Pump flow test. That's the Black and Black/Blue wires. The fuel pump will run continuously when you turn on the ignition.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Rabolli
I have a 95 cbr 25k on it.

might be a little long but that's only because I am at my wits end with tearing this bike apart.

I have had this problem with starting and running the bike. The problem started in august the bike started right up and died on choke after a minute or two. I started the bike and let it idle i go to take off choke and the bike dies. i start it up again no problem then i go to ride away. i start to take the choke off and the bike begins to idle real rough then dies. After the second death the bike would crank but no start. I check the typical. the plugs were carbon fouled so i replaced them still cranked but didn't start. I then checked the grounds on the ignition i checked the ignition pulse generator, ICM, and coils all are within tolerances specified in the manual for both voltages and resistance. fuel pump works battery is charged fuel in the carbs. After about a week of trying to start on starter fluid and carb fluid i sent the bike in to the mechanic. mechanic started the bike on carb cleaner and charged me a hefty 140 for about a half hour of work(the bike only had the gas tank on it with a seat).

the bike ran really good for about a month and then the problems came back but not as bad. In that month I ran the bike i rode a lot for my riding habits 250-300 miles a week in a spirited manner in the canyons of colorado. Now about a week ago I ran low on fuel and switched to reserve. ran fine home I then didn't ride for about 4 days and went to start up my bike started fine then about a mile down the road the bike dies. i start it up then the bike dies again immediately. i get the bike down the road to the gas station fill the bike up and then the bike refused to start. crank no start. after numerous attempts nothing so i pushed it home. i get home i hit the start bike fires up like nothing happen. i get on and go for a literally a house the bike dies again no rough idling just dies. I then check battery , fuel everything is good. I pull plugs carbon fouled again so i ripped the carbs thinking it needs a good tuning. Now while i was in there i noticed a OEM jet kit with needles. carbon foul = weak spark/too rich air fuel mix. I have 5 slots on my needle so i pushed the washer one up towards the flat part of the needle. I then clean the carbs they were sparkling clean surprisingly. I adjusted the floats to the manual specs. i reassemble carbs put them back fuel the bike up, bam bike fires up nice. I try to go for a ride and rough idle pursues with the bike barely taking off. i get down the block and the bike dies but it will start up if i wait for a minute but if i touch the throttle the bike dies. also idling doesn't last long maybe two minutes before the bike kicks off. the bike seems laggy/heavy when i rode it down the block. I am almost a 100% certain that the problem is involved with this jet kit. Living in colorado the kit is necessary due to the above 6500' riding i do so i am wondering what i do now? I can't get the bike warm enough to do a accurate carb sync because the bike dies. i am wondering if there is somewhere else i should be tuning to make the bike works properly.
I would start by taking the carbs back to their basic settings regarding needle position etc and see if that helps. It sounds as if the fuel/air mixture is too rich. Check all the jets are standard sizes as well. Check battery is getting a good charge with a multimeter whilst revving the engine to over 3000 rpm. Reading should be 13.5-14.2 volts at these revs. Take a look at the plug colour. Light brown is ok, white means weak mixture, black too rich.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

I sure sounds like a fuel deliver issue. If it's only trickling out, then I'd replace it. You can look for used ones on ebay, but people usually ask $75 or more for them. Even if you get for less, you're still buying a 15 year old pump. This is the least expensive place I've found to purchase new.

New F3 Pump

Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

If you've got any photo's of the fuel pump and regulator I'm sure others would be interested in how you did it. Part numbers, where purchased and what not.