General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 honda cbr 600rr electrical malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 honda cbr 600rr electrical malfunction

I was riding last night when my digital display that shows gas, temp, rpm, speed totally went dead while going about 40mph.....i pulled over and turned the bike off, turned it on, no good.......i figured it was a fuse and kept riding, about an hour later my brake lights, turn signals and horn wen't dead......the bike still runs great and the headlights work but thats about it.....everything else is dead in the water....can anybody help with this??? thanks.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Default RE: 2004 honda cbr 600rr electrical malfunction

NO ONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS YET....WELL THIS SHOULD HUMOR SOMEONE::

I took the bike to Fredericksburg Motor Sports in Fredericksburg Va.....they told me it would cost 160.00 to fix my bike....They said that the aftermarket tailights were installed incorrectly and had to be re-wired...now at this point my turn signals didn't work, horn, brake lights, and digi display........i said fine do it so i can ride tonight.............about an hour later the mechanic wanted to speak w/me and said it would cost 600 bucks to fix....they said everything was fixed except the right turn signals, the relay that connects to the digi display burned something inside of it....(doubtful), I saw that the lefts worked....never thought to check the brake lights and horn,,,,,i didn't want to pay the full 160 since they told me they could fix it, we agreed on the price and then they couldn't, seemed shady......after arguing they said that if i didn't pay then they would keep the bike, so i paid........and was planning on cancelling the payment when i left,,,,i got gas and noticed that the brake light and horn still didn't work,,,,i went back there and the manager said well now this is a problem and said that it wasn't their fault it didn't get fixed because even though i told the girl that works at the service desk she didn't tell the mechanic.....i said dude, did u just hear what u said.....it is your fault and nothing on my bike is fixed except the left turn signals....and the digi display was working also............so at this point i have no right turn signals and they do not display on the digi, no horn, and no brake lights...........the manager said they will give me my money back......i think i will talk to the owner and see if they will fix the bike for the price we agreed rather than the refund....i have no clue and no one here has posted any responses....shops that charge 80bucks per hour to find out what is wrong can cost me a fortune...any SUGESTIONS?????????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is funny, i left the place feeling a little better about the refund.........i had a little bit of daylight left and was on the way home......My left turn signals stopped working and don't show up on the digi display either.....LOL.....it is a matter of time before the display goes dead and then that shopped would have done absolutely nothing.....I am lost at this point.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:11 PM

I ha dthe same problem - it was the rectifier that had failed, it also wrecked my battery aswell. I've heard of it happening to a few CBR600rr's. Luckily the warranty covered it.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:52 AM

how do u test your rectifier, what is that?? I don't know a lot about bikes.....does anyone else have any input as to this being the problem?? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:27 AM

You can test the system by using a voltage meter to see if the correct current is getting through. Also, check all connections & fuses. Not sure what rate it should be charging at though, you'll have to speak to the dealer.