General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 cbr600rr right turn signals not working. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 cbr600rr right turn signals not working. HELP!

i have an '03 600RRR. the left turn signals (front and rear) work fine. The right side does not work at all. When the ignition is on the right front signal is on, when i switch the turn signals on the right on, the right signal goes out. then rear does nothing whether the switch is on or not. also when i try to turn the right signals on, there is a faint pulsating to all the other lights on the bike. any ideas what i could do??? thanks.[/align][/align]
i checked all the wiring front to back. everything looked ok. i did not cut the main harness open to check inside. it has aftermarket lights on the back and it and it looked like at one time someone had put aftermarket signals on the front because the wires were spliced and put back together with electrical tape (i fixed that the right way). i am the second owner. the only thing i did notice is that when i put my test light on the +battery post, i get a light on both right rear signal wires. seems like i should only get ground off one. when i hook up to the -battery post i don't get a light off either wire on the rear right. any ideas why this would be or where to go from here?[/align][/align]

Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2003 cbr600rr right turn signals not working. HELP!

OK, the first question I have for you is this; Did the right side signals work for you before and just develope a problem or have they not worked since you owned it?

Alot of times, a set of signal lights will quit working because either the front or rear bulbs has a burnt out element. This will cause neither one to work while your signal indicator on your dash will be "ON" steady (no flashing).

For most bikes, the front signals will be a 3-wire system (one for the running light, one ground and one for the flasher). The bulb (in the front) will have two elements. The bulbs get their power from a relay located (at least on the '02 F4i) between the headlamps under the dash panel. Now, how the relay works is like this; the relay actually cuts the power to the bulb(s) intermitantly to produce the flash effect (It does not supply the bulbs with power). So basically what I am trying to explain is that on the front, the front running light is always on. When you turn the signal switch to left or right, it turns the power off to that running light (not vice versa).

As far as your test light goes, you said you attached the end to the positive side of the battery and you were getting power off of both wires on your right rear signal light. Was that test light a self-powered light? And did you have the signal switch turn on for the right side signals? You may be getting a power indicator because all the grounds are connected (splice). Instead, use a continuity tester (ensure that your ignition is off...continuity testers don't like power going through a line when tested). Use the C.T. to ensure that your wires are not broken or shorting out.

Sorry if I assumed anything and over explained things. I don't know what your mechanical abilities are.