General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 CBR 900RR on Life Support

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 CBR 900RR on Life Support

Finally after a couple years of waiting, I was finally going to work on my CBR project.

Brought the bike over and collection of parts to my buddy shop. I told him with my limited mechanic skills, I was able to get the bike to crank, but not start, but that was a year ago.

He noticed the throttle has stiff and would not turn, so he wanted to see what was going on. He moved the air box and seen the carbs were full of water. So much so, when he removed the air filter, water came out. He then removed the carbs and we both seen the engine (intake tubes) were filled with water.

After taking the bike home, I used my wet van to remove the water I could from the engine. Looking at the engine from behind bike (and going left to right) cylinders 1.2 and 4 had water sitting in the intake tubes. I guess because the valves were closed. The 3rd cylinder had no water sitting in it but this valve was open. I'm sure water just poured into the cylinder.

My buddy said the bike is DOA. To either find an engine or part it out. I'm asking for the community's opinion. is this bike worth saving. If so, should I remove plugs, drain oil and crank engine? What steps can I take to hopefully save engine, I fear rust was/will set it as I do not know how long rain water has entered the engine.

I have pictures of the carnage if anyone is interested.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Does it turn over now? As long as the engine isn't totally sized, there is hope. I've even seen seized engines broke free and made to run just fine.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now, I am not getting anything. The power lights are not even coming on. If there is hope for the engine, I will at least attempt to get her to crank.

Should I pour anything into the 3rd cylinder to help eat up any rust?

Should I remove the plugs and drain the oil before rotating the engine by hand?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Here's what I would suggest. 1st, don't try cranking it anymore for a bit. The reason is right now you want to be gentle with it. If the engine is stuck, you can put too much torque on it trying to start it and possibly break other things. 2. Remove the plugs and place a couple of tablespoons of fresh oil in each of the plug holes. Let that set for about 24 hours. 3. After that, try pushing the bike around some with it in gear, with the plugs still out. The object is to get the cylinders moving again and nothing else. 4. if that works, then I drain the existing oil and put in fresh. I wouldn't be concerned about using high quality stuff as you will want to drain this oil after you get everything sorted out.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent advice. If it doesn't quite break free by rolling it around the garage in gear, you can try using a socket on the crank behind the timing cover.

And Hamlin is dead on the money that if you get it going, you're going to want to flush the oil repeatedly to make sure you're getting all of the moisture out.

Good luck.

And it's obviously not going to start with water in the carbs. So clean them while you're letting to cylinders soak will oil. I'd take a look under the valve cover as well in order to get a feel about how much moisture has affected your top end. If it was saturated, and you've got valve springs that are starting to rust, you may have a time bomb on your hands.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-21-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i once owned a triumph tr6 that the owner had allowed to sit for more than ten years without starting..
i brought it home and to no surprise the engine was seized..
long story short someone told me to fill the engin with mystery oil instead of regular oil and let sit for about a week or so..then drain and refilll with regular oil..
after which i got a rolling tow and with rebuilt double carbs slammed her in first gear and drove her for another five years with no problems..