General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need help please f-2 600

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help please f-2 600

a good friend of mine recently gave me 92 600 f-2 it sat behind his body shop for over a year it ran when it came in so he kept it. i got the bike i put a new battery in it made sure plugs were good and had spark drianed the gas out of tank and gave the carbs a good shot of carb cleaner clenaed the valve under the gas tank real well also. when i crank the bike it back fires real bad but wont start i got it to start for maybe 5 seconds vaccuum line has suction. i am new to carbs and bikes but have general knowledge of engines and mechanics. if anyone can help me out pointing me in right direction i would appreciate it

Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Step 1, take carbs apart and clean them.

Go from there.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 PM

just got done taking them off the boots are giving me some trouble tho

Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM

took carbs off floats werent sticking took the jets off and cleaned them up real good nice shot of carb cleaner put it all back together still wont fire almost like its not burning all the gas thats getting into the engine

Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The jets needs to be super clean. Even the smallest little clog can cause problems.
With that said, make sure the mixture screws are set and the boots are on good and in good shape. You dont want any vacuum leaks. Pull the plugs again and make sure the are not fouled with gas. Make sure your plug wires are going to the correct cyls. Kinda sounds like they may be crossed.

For an engine to start, it needs correct air/fuel, correctly timed spark, and good engine compression with correct valve timing. Basicly thats it. If you have all three, it will start. If it doesnt, figure out which is lacking.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean the pilot circuit.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi. Make sure the battery is fully charged and spinning the engine over really fast as these bikes need a good battery to start. If the engine is turning but not really fast, the spark gets weak as all the power from the battery is being used to turn the engine over. You could try opening the throttle to the fully open position and trying to start it. This will clear the cylinders of excess fuel and hopefully the bike will start. As suggested, make sure spark plugs are dry and free from carbon etc. Spark plug leads could be crossed over, but highly unlikely if it ran before and you haven't disconnected them since. Hope you manage to get it to run as I know how frustrating it can be!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 AM

I always start by getting a new battery in, getting it to to fire up... check the engine compression first, valves and timing then the carbs... suspension, the inline with your sprockets/chain then tires and balance. Also make sure you have a nice clean fuel filter in the tank with good fresh fuel. Does make a big different on older bikes...