General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 cbr 600rr bike wont start/headlights dont work

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 cbr 600rr bike wont start/headlights dont work

Its kind of a long story but here it goes lol.... Ok so my headlights stop working and i open the starter button and see that one of the 3 wires was unplugged. So i super glued the wire to have contact with the metal and what do you know? The headlights work again, but some of the super glue dripped on to the starter button and that was super glue and now I was unable to press it. So i clean the area with some nail polish remover that has acetone and then I put a little stick by the starter and just hammered it lightly once to apply that pressure. Now the starter button works again and the bike turns on, but now the headlights stop working again and the wire is still connected to the metal. So i figured screw the headlights I'll just ride during day time. 3 days later I try to fix it again and apply wd40 by the starter button. Now when I press the starter button it just makes a clicking noise and the headlights still don't work. I'm so screwed

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? How much will all this cost to fix? I've been saving up to get my fairings fixed and painted and to get new tires(completely worn out I don't ride highway anymore) but now this crap popped up.

I just want to ride lol.....Ok and quick side question my front tire has no grip in the middle at all just on the sides. also it appears to have like pumps and stuff sticking out. Can I still ride highway if i just don't push it and go the speed limit?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM

I would start looking on ebay for a used starter, kill switch and housing. You should be able to get one for 30 bucks or less. Theres not much point in trying to fix the one you have. It sounds like its been beat up pretty bad. Im not 100 percent positive, but I believe 03-05 are interchangable. You'll have to check that to make sure.

But, if you are hearing a click, are you sure your battery is not dead? Pressing the button and clicking should indicate that the switch is still working, there may just be a lack of power. But I would still swap the switch out anyway.

As for the tire. Its hard to say without pictures. It sounds like your tire is probably cupped. It happens to a lot of tire. Some tires are more prone to it than others, but usually running pressure that is too low will make the cupping worse. Depending on how bad it is would depend on if it should be changed or not. If you can post a pic, it would help.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 AM

Thanks for your response. I found out that if i slightly squeeze the starter button the bike turns on but if i press it like your suppose to then it just makes that clicking noise. I'll try to get a picture of the tire tomorrow, but I work all day so most likely Saturday.