F4i - Wanted Need a part to get going again or just modifying, post it here.

Front brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake rotors

Anybody have spare front brake rotors? Mine are warped and I just bought this bike. And before I get all the 'why not get an aftermarket' questions and such, I've searched and I currently don't have the disposable income of 2-300 bucks for a set of rotors.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check out your wheel. the run out there ? Just to make sure its not the wheel. Im just assuming you did.

Either way. I was just looking through them the other day here. A few OEM pairs around here and there.

F4i rotors | eBay

Old 01-08-2017, 01:38 PM

I'll be doing that once the weather gets warmer this week, though I don't think its the wheel as last time I looked the wheel wasn't touching anything. I'll double check, though. Is there a way to check which one is warped without taking the rotors to a shop?

Old 01-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you're not familiar with a dial indicator. So take a sharpie put it against your fork like a cross with the tip touching a rotor. Hold it in place without moving it, now spin your wheel. Of course you need the wheel off the ground to do this. You should now be able to see how warped it is. Sort of like, kind of.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 PM

It's warped enough to cause the bike to slow down on its own from about 5-10 mph to a stop. I'd say that's pretty well warped. I'll try that idea tomorrow, though.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I guess you're not familiar with a dial indicator. So take a sharpie put it against your fork like a cross with the tip touching a rotor. Hold it in place without moving it, now spin your wheel. Of course you need the wheel off the ground to do this. You should now be able to see how warped it is. Sort of like, kind of.
Originally Posted by Polk01
It's warped enough to cause the bike to slow down on its own from about 5-10 mph to a stop. I'd say that's pretty well warped. I'll try that idea tomorrow, though.
You can do what CF said or you can take a methodical approach to finding out what's wrong. Warped rotors isn't the only culprit.

Methinks more troubleshooting need you do.

Get the wheel in the air and spin it. It should spin fairly freely, with just a hint of brake drag. If it doesn't, find out why instead of immediately throwing (questionable/used) parts at it.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Took it on a group ride and one of the guys looked at and pretty much confirmed my suspition of what it is. Needs new pads all around. I've got them on order so hopefully that'll fix it. I might order new wheel bearings just to be sure it isn't those. Anyone have any recommendations? Seems the only ones I can find are All Ball or something, I'm not familiar with wheel bearing manufacturers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Just confirmed it's the pads, have a new set of fronts and rear on order. Hopefully, it gets here by Thursday so I can have it fixed by the weekend. Would be nice to have it earlier but who knows, if I'll have time before then.

Last edited by Polk01; 01-22-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM

can warped rotors be fixed? ive never even thought that would be a problem till i think it happened to me lol

Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts