F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Won't start, headlights & front turns signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start, headlights & front turns signals not working

I have a 2001 F4i with at least 8500 miles on it. (The odometer works intermittently, so the mileage is unknown. I need to replace the speed sensor.)

Friday, I went to fire her up, as I use it for my daily commute (I drive everyday, rain or shine, even through last weeks light blanket of snow.) It cranked over, but would not start. The headlight is off, both high and low. The instrument panels runs through its various start motions, but the high beam indicator is constantly lit, regardless of where I have the switch. The turn signal indicators on the panel works, but the front turn signals do not come on--rear signals work fine, though.

I put in a new Yuasa battery, but now the fuel pump (?) won't prime, as I can not the whirring regardless of where the kill switch is set. I know the headlights have to be plugged in, but does the running light have to function in order to start? I checked the fuses and bulbs/lamps, and a visual check of the various wires turns up nothing. I have a neighbor with a battery charger. I had hoped to take a nice long, hard ride to initialize the battery. Perhaps I need to get battery on the charger?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Welp, gonna bump my own thread. Put a multimeter to the battery, 12.7x volts. Took the front cowl off and checked the connections. When I removed the headlight relay, I was finally able to turn off the high beam indicator on the instrument panel, which was on despite having neither light on. Front turn signals don't work, but the rears and turn indicators on the panel do. Horn and brake lights function.

I'm going to order a headlight relay and go from there. I've read through the threads regarding the switches, but the faulty high beam indicator makes me suspect it's the relay. Any thoughts?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM

I don't have a f4i, but I don't think it will run without the headlight on, maybe a bad connection somewhere? Just a guess.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Check the subharness on the left side, the one on my bike is a bitch. When I first got it I pulled it apart and changed the coolant and oil, hooked everything back up and the lights weren't working right. If I remember right it was like you describe, no lights on up front but the display showed high beam no matter what. Mine has to be cocked a certain way to make a connection, if I have to mess with it again I'll probably just cut the damn plug off and wire it all together with a bunch of connectors from radio shack.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM

So the old bike-a-rooney still not firing up. I did solve one problem. Headlights and turn signals (front and back) now working, fuel pump primes, all thanks to the suggestion of the sub-harness. The green wire/ground had burnt. Was difficult to get it off, as it had fused together. Took the ground wire and spliced it outside of the harness, headlight and turn signals work.

But the bike still won't start. Headlight turns on, fuel pump primes, headlight turns off when starter button is pressed. It will just crank and crank but no start. Opened up starter switch, nothing seems to be loose. If I put the kill switch off, fuel pump does not prime. All fuses are good, including the 30a and 20a fuses.

When not in neutral and clutch in, starter does not click. Indicator for neutral lights upwhen bike is put into neutral. I did a continuity test recommended from the manual and Clymer with the clutch diode in the fuse box. Contacts A & B don't beep, so it's bad right?

I jumpered the bank angle sensor with a paper clip and then some wire, but nothing. I checked the voltage in the port and got a reading of 10.6v, and under 1 volt (measured in mV) when the ignition was on.

Okay, so do I just order two parts and hope one of them solves it? The battery is new, and I put it on a charger before placing into the bike. Currently reading 12.5v at the moment, so I'll put it back on a charger. Has anyone had a problem with the clutch diode? I've seen threads on the zener diode in the ignition, but nothing regarding the clutch diode.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Check the voltage on the pink wire coming out of the ignition. All the electrical problems could have fried the diode to the ecm.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assuming your battery is good...becuz it's new. I would pull to the fuel rail and spark plugs to see if the injectors are dropping gas and plugs are firing.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered Users

You said you were going to order a new headlight relay for the bike. Did you ever do that? If not that is the first thing I would do. I have an 04 cbr 600 f4i and around a year ago I had the same problem that you described and I spent some time trying to figure out what the problem was.
I found that when I unplugged the headlights and took the headlight fuse out the bike would start and run just like normal. So when I finally had the time to actually pull the bike apart I pulled the headlight relay out and found that it had burned out and the silicone had begun oozing out. Yours might have the same problem but it might not have heated up enough to make the silicone leak out. I hope this solves your problem.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming. I did replace the headlight relay and now I have two functional headlight relays... The burnt ground wire at the sub-harness near the left intake was the cause for no headlight, lit brights indicator, no turn signals and no fuel pump priming.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Hey man I've got a 2001 Honda CBR F4i with 20k miles was having the same issue after playing with the harness I got it working again however one day later it died again. I got a new battery check the cells in my old one checked the fuse box fuel pump and then some. After calling over my buddy to take a look he found it was my voltage regulator was shot it was pulling more juice then the bike needed and that A drained my battery and B my harness. So check your voltage regulator see if you're having issues with that too.

Quick Reply: Won't start, headlights & front turns signals not working