F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Wait for Engine Ice or run distilled water and Water Wetter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for Engine Ice or run distilled water and Water Wetter?

I ride in 100+ temps this time of the season. My temps on the gage have been higher latley 220+ as oposed to the 195 temps that I remember. There is no fear of my coolant freezing. So do I even need to run any type of anti freezing fluids? If I can just run distilled water and the Water Wetter that I already own I can flush the system today and from what I have read have the best cooling potential with that combination? So do I wait a few days till I can get to the store for some Engine Ice or run distilled Water with Water Wetter and do the job today? Either way I will be doing a serious flush of the system I know..

Old 07-04-2011, 06:51 PM

antifreeze also lubs the pump and seals and such.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM

I was under the notion that when adiding Water Wetter you will stiill get some of those lubing properties?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Both Water Wetter and Engine Ice are coolant additives. You still need the coolant!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:09 PM

But can I just run Distilled water as the "coolant" is my question? I read all about track guys running it with noproblems, but would there be any adverse effects by using that combination for stop and go street riding/commuting year round, because it never freezes here where I am.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can just run water + WW, zombie, but there are good properties to the antifreeze/coolant. The WW bottle recommends 15% coolant in addition to the water and WW, so I run that.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Thanks Rebel, Ill wait it out till I can grab some sort of antifreeze. I just hate seeing temps in the 210+ realm while just moving down the freeway. I'm hoping a serious flush and new fluids will bring my temps down..

Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya. Mine runs about 230 most times, and it freaks me out.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Water Wetter is an additive that increases the cooling ability of whatever you are putting it in - depending on what you are adding it to, it may have minimal to excellent effects.

I run distilled water with WW in both my track bikes, and as soon as I come off the track in the hot Texas summer they start getting hot...hot enough to start boiling over and losing fluid (of course, there are no fans anymore). I would personally not want to run just water and WW in my street bike.

Adding WW to Engine Ice or Liquid Performance, according to their instructions, will have minimal results. Adding WW to standard antifreeze can be beneficial.

Engine Ice and Liquid Performance are no longer sold as additives, they are now sold ready to go premixed with deionized water.

Bottom line IMHO: Engine Ice or LP better than antifreeze, water and WW only if the track requires it.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the good info guys. Ill just throw some Engine Ice in there and find what all the raves are about for myself lol

Quick Reply: Wait for Engine Ice or run distilled water and Water Wetter?