F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ticking noise--not cct

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise--not cct

The ticking noise isn't dependent on engine speed. The noise is vehicle speed related...The faster I'm going the faster the tick noise, no matter if I'm in neutral or first.

I tried a search but only came up with two possibilities.

1.)cct= That's not the noise

2.)normal chain noise = not likely, my buddies f3 doesn't make the noise.

2005 f4I 2200 miles.

The noise is real faint when driving down the road, but when echoing off of a bridge or other cars next to me the noise gets real loud.
When cars pass by it sounds like it's coming from the rear, but can be heard from what sounds like the middle/front of the bikewhen cruising around. To better describe the noise it sounds like brakes on an automobile when the pads get to low. Not the high pitch squeek when they get real low, but the tapping noise they faintly make when tapping against warped rotors when 10-15% pad life is left...

Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Default RE: ticking noise--not cct

It is possible your chain needs to be adjusted, not all bikes make the same noises. There is a specific "play" in the chain, you might have to tighten yours up is all.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 AM

if adjusting the chain dosent get rid of the noise, it is possible that your valve clearences need to be re-adjusted

Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried coasting down an incline with the motor off to see if you can hear it still? if so then it'snot engine related.
as for valves...they may just be loud but still within specs. mine chatter constantly but are well within spec.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 PM

Mine makes a ticking sound and I thought it was the internals of the engine. Come to find out I ran my hand close to the exhaust pipe while it was running and felt hot air hitting my hand. A leaky exhaust. You might want to try that and rule it out.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM

I had a wierd noise 4 a while, it turned out being extra keys on key ring chattering on triple. It took a long time to find prob, until one day I used my spare key with just a rubber fob to go ridin. Eureka no noise.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:20 PM

my bike makes a clattering noisefrom right under the gas tank when i go wfo at lower rpm's, say 4000-7000. sounds like my wife's corolla when you load the engine at low rpms. i hope its not the valve clearances cause there's no way in hell i'm checkin um untill 15000[&:]

Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Yeah mine does that too. It's not a constant clatter, it's like a few clatters then stops lol.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll try to tighten up the chain. Like I said it's vehicle speed related, not engine speed. I highly doubt it's the valves, I'll check the chain and if that doesn't work I'll rule out all engine/transmission related issues next.

BTW: how often is a chain adjustment/replacement needed? I remember on my old fzr you had to replace the chain almost annually. Once you had to adjust it once, it just kept stretching. Then again I always bought el-cheapo chains. I'm assumming an oem chain should last 2-3 years at least if kept adjusted properly??

Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll last about 10-15K...for a good chain.
clean and lube very 500miles...
supposed to check tension before hopping on...just eye it if it looks good, you're good. if it looks like a prego fish...tighten that bish!

Quick Reply: ticking noise--not cct