F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Temperature gauge/ delayed throttle response!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pickup a Service Manual. You can find a .pdf online and/or get a hardcopy. I have the .pdf service manual and Haynes. I often use the Haynes.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, last night I had planned to take apart the kill switch housing again to look for the dowel and hole and see if they align properly and if that solves the problem. But when I took the bike out the battery was mostly dead. WHY!?! I never just leave the bike on and the battery itself looks to be relatively new. No corrosion, no improper connection.. just dead. These are my theories: maybe when I bought the bike the guy had left it on (not started) and drained most of the battery. Then when I had moved it outside a couple days ago leaving the lights on so I can see (without starting) maybe that drained it down enough to be below amount needed to clean start. That's theory one, theory two: perhaps the regulator and or stator are "bad" to a point where it's draining the battery and not charging it.

I jumped the battery last night (bike hasn't started due to battery the last two nights.) and it started slowly, then after leaving the cables for a minute I took them off only to hear the bike get weaker and not a minute later kills. Could that tell me right there that it's the stator not keeping the battery up to par? By the time I got the bike back inside I was exhausted form work so I didn't feel like working on the bike. Tonight I should be able to get my hands on it again. I'm going to take the battery to have it tested at advanced auto parts. I do have a multimeter, and I watched a few people test the regulator and stator, I'll try to do that tonight.

Coolant issue, I looked at the coolant reserve and it's saying it's at the full line so that shouldn't be an issue with the temp reader. But I kind of want to get the bike started and just leave it on for 10 min before breaking in it down to replace the sensor. Mainly because what if I didn't run the bike long enough the first go round for the engine to reach a temp for the sensor to start reading. It has to be doing something since the two dashes are still present. I'll keep it posted once I get the bike started again. I also was trying to mess with the idle adjustment but the bike didn't stay on long enough to do that. The bike isles at 800 rpm, I read another post on this forum about it shouldn't be an easy turn (idle adjust) to open it up, once it starts getting like it's hard to turn that's when it's actually doing what it's suppose to be doing.. any thoughts on that? Thanks again for all the information, I can't wait to be up and running!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:47 AM

The fact that the engine idles down is a good indicator. But when ridden it doesn't take long to get some temps showing unless the OAT is really COLD.

I agree with your approach of solving one issue at a time, starting with the battery then looking at the charging system.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Alright, I brought the battery to get charged! Popped it back in last night and bike started right up! I left it running for a good solid amount of time knowing that it is cold outside and the bike would take a little longer to warm up, sure enough the bikes engine temperature sensor started reading like normal. Started reading at 96 degrees and continued to climb as the bike got warmer. (Now seeing that it worked without issue. I know now that I must have not left the bike on long enough the last time, sorry for wasting, all of those who helped me, your time) however, even though the bike started immediately it still could have an issue with the regulator or stator. I won't find that out until a couples months if the battery drains and dies again. So fingers crossed that everything is well.

As of right now there are only two present issues.
1: after a decent warm up (the bike reaching about 120 degrees) the idle increases from 800 to 1000. Now I know that it is still low, so I tried adjusting it. I twisted clockwise and it was getting to a point where it sounds like a spring twisting, also quite difficult to twist. It wasnt doing anything positive or negative to the idle rpm, so I stopped because it felt like it was eventually going to break off. Any thoughts as to why it's not responding or working properly?

2: the F1 light is blinking in the pattern of a code 1. Doing research I found that it means to do with the MAP sensor. Does that automatically mean it needs replacing. Or does it means a connection may be loose or anything like that? Thanks so much for all the support and help.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM

It's never a waste of time if you learned something. And more importantly you taught other much as well. There will be plenty of people that will read this and benefit from the post, but many of them will never post themselves - they'll lurk and that's it.

Always check for loose connections before suspecting bad sensors, wiring, etc.

You can get some information about the charging system with a multimeter - no need to wait for a dead battery. And furthermore it may not be the source of the trouble if the battery dies while the bike sits parked.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Map sensor is easy to forget if you've removed the throttle bodies otherwise you never touch it.
Your idle is about 300rpm too low. Could be because of the sensor problem. Gotta get the bike running good before adjusting things. Also check spark plugs and throttle body sync while your in there.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Hello,
So it's been a little while since last updates on bike progress. But jumping back into it I have a new story to unfold and will need all the help I can get. First things first, let me explain my situation, I work a lot so working on the bike takes 10x longer to do since I have less and less time to actually do it. Also I am on a strict budget, so even the cheap parts I have to make sure to compensate spending. All in all my goal is to get the bike running 100% as soon as possible, within my limitations. Now that being said, I foolishly was too eager to get it out on the road and rode the bike a couple days ago. Then the symptoms started showing not even making it out of my subdivision (big subdivision). So I felt foolish because I should have spent more time looking into the bike instead of dreaming of the ride.
That being said, symptoms as of now;
1-speedometer never once read anything. Could be that it came loose, or that the sensor itself is bad and needs replacing. I did a little research to find out that the CBR F4i do tend to have an issue over time with the speedometer not reading and needing to be replaced. I will have to disassemble to investigate. Any and all ideas will help.
2-the throttle was very choppy. Once engaged into first and moving giving it some gas was proving to be difficult. My first thoughts is that the map sensor issue that the bike is telling me (f1 code) and or the spark plugs are done in and need changing. Some bogging was happening also. Ashamed to say this next part but information to you will help me learn and become better. Due to the non consistent throttle response, going around a turn the throttle was chopping and (at a very low speed) back tire slipped in to caked dirt on the ground. Basically gently laying the bike down. Due to embarrassment, I quickly got the bike on its feet and, minus a few scuffs on the fairings, appearance nothing was different. But after starting it, giving it any throttle at all the bike would stall and or kill. Even after just letting it roll into first the bike would kill as soon as I touched the throttle. Maybe I should have let the bike sit longer before starting it after laying sideways for a few seconds. But currently that's where I am, tonight I am taking the bike's fairings off and looking into the process of diagnosing these problems.
3- this was before the ride and the "lay down", every time I start it the bike starts.. idles (700rpm) for a minute then kills. Once restarting it the bike idles a little higher (900) and usually maintains that until engine is warm enough to ride. But beginning idle never exceeds 1000rpms which is still 300 low and the adjustment isn't adjusting. Now I know I have other things to look into that could be the issue, but I want to inform the public about this also.
First things first I will check the plugs and sensors. Then move on from there. If anyone has any other opinions as to what it may be then I'm all ears. Thank you, all information is helpful.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have anything of mechanical help but just wanted to say, Glad you are ok!! and that it wasn't worse!! No need to be embarassed, machines can always be fixed, not always the same with people.
Although I don't comment (usually cause I don't have anything helpful to say lol) this thread has been really interesting, I really look forward to updates. Hope you can find the problem(s) soon.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Hi,

I was also having a problem with the speedo not showing anything on my CBR 600.

It turned out that clocks were completely dead and getting a spare set resolved the issue for me, after checking every single connection on the bike.

They say to check the speed sensor, which is hidden behind the rear shock on the crankcase, which i did, but that was functioning correctly.

I was able to get a second set of clocks for £80, but Honda were looking at around £1000.

I would check the connections first, as your issue sounds as though it could be the speed sensor, but if not then could be a slightly more expensive fix.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Default Sorry it's been so long..

Okay so nothing has changed, bike condition wise. But I have been really busy and also trying to get the tools needed for any job on the bike in the future. Well I got some of the tools I need and now (not right now) the CBR will live again! Fingers crossed. I'm starting tonight to disassemble the bike allowing myself to get familiar with where everything is and goes. First thing I will do is replace the spark plugs. I figure.. baby steps, not to take on ether entire bike in one night. Little by little I plan to test and replace anything that is giving me issues. So hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a like new running bike and no more problems.

SunBlue, that'll you so much for your comment it gave me a good bit of inspiration not only to continue updating here but also in other areas of my life that I had been contemplating. I hope my comments and adventure still prove to be interesting to you and help to others.

Robf279 I'll check into that, as log as the bike is running smoothly I'm not really worried about the sensor just yet, we live in an age where technology is superior than back in the day and if need be a GPS speedo app will be good enough until I have more budget money.

Thank you to all that have supported me by responding to me comments. I hope all have a merry Christmas and a happy new year! And as always I'll keep updating when something breaks, works, or like today if nothing changed at all.

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge/ delayed throttle response!!