F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Strange Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Electrical Issues

Hello all fellow riders. So I own a 2001 F4i, since last January, and have been loving it. In June, she took a 25-30 MPH spill on grass, after exiting a curve. I rode it out in the grass to an eventual sudden halt (hit a rock), and I fell over as well as the bike. I stood up, brushed myself off, picked the bike up and killed the killswitch, then turned the key off. Then I turned the key back on, killswitch back on, and when I pushed the start button, she fired right up and I rode it home. At this point it was just a little cosmetic damage that I was bummed about, but whatever. It happens. So I get back home and start to take my right side fairing off when a friend drops by and wants to see if it still runs. I said yeah, I rode it home but I also tried to fire it up in the garage. Fuel pump didn't prime even with the front harness still untouched (I know there is a bank angle sensor in there and it probably needs the dash plugged in to). I thought that was weird so I took it into the local Honda shop and the service manager said that a wire got pinched when I laid it down, so they spliced a new one into its placed. The fuel pump primes, and the bike runs. However, since they did that, my killswith no longer does anything (I just use the key to turn it off i stead now), and my rear turn signal on an LED integrated taillight will only steady burn when I turn the signal on. Front LED flushmounts flash...Just not the rear. The light for the blinkers on the dash also steady burns. I dont believe its the turn signal relay, since my front ones flash (fast, but the flash). When I first had the bike, before the crash, all the LED signals worked perfectly, the light on the dash flashed, and I haven't added or changed any relays or resistors. I tested the rear lights harness with a standard incandescent bulb, and the same issue occurs (steady burn), independently of the front signals which always flash. So is there an independent relay for the rears? Did a wire between front and rear of bike get pinched? Also, why would my killswitch not function anymore? I can't seem to think of anythng that would affect these things...any input would be greatly appreciated. I do have the signals plugged into the proper sides, I triple checked that. Left is orange, Right is blue, as according to several people and forum posts. So I'm stumped, can anyone think of possibilities?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well it sounds like it started with the splicing of the wire. I'd see if you can find out exactly what wire it was and exactly how did they splice it in ? Do you have the shop manual for your bike? For electrical, you're going to need a wiring diagram to follow point to point.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Too many electrical mods and splices to follow on the net. But I agree with idodirt, start at the splice/bypass and go from there.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd get new zero load relays, and then wire everything back to OEM via a wiring diagram. It sounds as if your shop just bypassed the kill switch all together, instead of fixing what was probably a loose connection. The zero load relay will allow your LED lights to run without any resistors (that like to fail anyways). I don't think a BAS has anything to do with it since you we're able to ride it home...

Grab a beer or a cup of coffee, figure out the diagram, then fix the wiring on your bike accordingly.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
I'd get new zero load relays, and then wire everything back to OEM via a wiring diagram. It sounds as if your shop just bypassed the kill switch all together, instead of fixing what was probably a loose connection. The zero load relay will allow your LED lights to run without any resistors (that like to fail anyways). I don't think a BAS has anything to do with it since you we're able to ride it home...

Grab a beer or a cup of coffee, figure out the diagram, then fix the wiring on your bike accordingly.
I iwsh my integrated LED tallight wasn't built into the custom undertail..
By BAS, you mean?..

Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by F4i_Man91
I iwsh my integrated LED tallight wasn't built into the custom undertail..
By BAS, you mean?..
Bank Angle Sensor